Today marks another year of the famous “Black Friday” and people are already lined up at stores amidst the chaos and crowds all across North America. I wanted to write about something that could relate to this tradition in the western world and felt this would be ideal.
I am almost certain that if you are reading this, you know what Walmart is. If you don’t, well, Walmart is a retail store that sells everything under the sun such as clothing, food, electronics, household products, sports equipment, etc. It is also the largest and most profitable company in the world. Pretty powerful achievement isn’t it? If we look at it in that way yes, but how about we try looking at it from a different viewpoint for a moment. What does it even mean to be a “powerful” or “large” company? Does it mean we’re competitive and need to be better than one another? Where does the power come from? Is it us that is supporting it? Are we dependent upon it for survival? Does it mean we prioritize profit and consumption/ consumerism over love, freedom and equality? Does it mean we’re benefitting humanity and the planet in any way? Is this way of doing things actually powerful? Where is it leading to? Definitely some questions to ponder…
With the game of corporatism/ capitalism/ consumerism that we play across the planet, we have created all sorts of various belief systems that in turn are creating a structure of disconnection, greed, manipulation and competition. If you stop and think about these things, how do they make you feel? Do they feel like they’re coming from a place of love? I’m sure that you’ll find that they don’t, even though it’s easy to rationalize this stuff if we think that this is the only way of doing things…but is it? These are all structures of an old archaic game that we’ve been playing for a very long time. This way of doing “business” and looking for a feeling of “wholeness” through external consumption of material goods is being played out by many, but yet millions of people worldwide are becoming more aware of it and are feeling that they are tired of it and it no longer resonates with their hearts desire. A direct reflection of the shift in consciousness that is happening right now.
To get to my point with this article, I wanted to share with you some interesting facts about Walmart and how it relates to our global business structure and how we’re supporting it and dependent upon it. I want to make it very clear that this isn’t about judging or slandering Walmart whatsoever. They’re doing their thing and they are playing their role for humanity in their own limited level of consciousness. My intentions are to simply bring to light facts about the company so that we may observe them and see how it makes us feel. Without observation and being informed about stuff like this, we will just continue to repeat this system over and over. From my experience, I know that many, and I mean many people want to bring change to how we’re doing things and knowing what’s going on is the first step. Let’s take a look at how we’re doing things and then go inside and connect with our creativity, our passion and our love…and expand and express that…unite together and work on creating a new experience for us all. It really is that simple. We just have to be willing to let go of what we’re holding on to that is blocking us from feeling that resonance and that power inside of us!
I joyfully present these facts for you to play with. See how it makes you feel and what thoughts arise after reading…
Did You Know?
1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.
2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer, and most can’t speak English.
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.
9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.
11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store (Earth’s population is approximately 6.5 billion.)
12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.
13. The value of product for Wal-Mart passing through the port of San Diego each year is a larger sum than 93% of ALL countries Gross National Product(GNP)… and that is only ONE port… one way – that’s how Wal-Mart gets it’s stuff.
14. Of the 1.6 million employees, only 1.2% make a living above the poverty level.
15. Wal-Mart’s head office is located and centralized in Bentonville. Due to this fact, there are more millionaires per square mile there than any other place on Earth.
16. The official U.S. Government position is that Wal-Mart’s prices are no lower than anyone else’s when compared to a typical families weekly purchases. That’s the view of the statisticians at the Bureau Of Labor Statistics (BLS) responsible for calculating the Consumer
Price Index (CPI).
17. 92% of everything Wal-Mart sells, comes from China. Another 4% comes from Chinese owned companies in the U.S. or in 3rd world Countries.
18. Wal-Mart and MOST large companies, take out life insurance on it’s employees, without their knowing. If an employee dies, ALL the insurance moneys go to the companies. I.e. An employee making $18,000 per year, dies, and the company might make as much as $1 million. Most often this money, coming from what is commonly referred to as “Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies“, is paid out to executives as bonuses. (A common practice, unknown by the average consumer)
19. Wal-Mart now averages a “profit” (not sales) of $36 billion per year.
Discover how you can live fearlessly without the need for validation or approval from others, so you can experience life without any barriers between you and the joy of your full, undiminished consciousness.
Learn why all forms of meditation are NOT for everyone and how you can find which works for you. And much more!