Judge Orders Lauryn Hill To Undergo Counseling Over Claims Of Music Industry Exploitation

On May 7th 2013, musician Lauryn Hill was sentenced to 3 months in jail for failing to pay a tax bill after she withdrew herself from society following threats made against her family. Hill pleaded guilty to charges of tax evasion last year and has already paid $900,000 on her tax bill. After her stint in jail, she will be confined to her home for three more months and has been ordered to undergo counselling to address her ‘conspiracy theory’ mindset when it comes to her thoughts on the music industry.

Lauryn Hill sang with the Fugees, had an small acting career and also a solo career as a musician. She has been known to talk during performance about the “pop culture cannibalism,”  as she puts it, that the music industry imposes on artists. She feels there is an elite that is making decisions within the music industry for their own profit and benefit and it cuts real talent out of the equation. She feels there is a clear exploitation of people going on within the music industry and many artists suffer as a result.

In June last year, Hill posted a message to her Tumblr account explaining how the music industry is “manipulated and controlled by a media protected military industrial complex.” Hill, of course, is not the only one to say this, numerous musicians from around the world have said the same thing including Prince, Don Henley, John Fogerty, Tom Scholz, George Michael, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Tupac, Immortal Technique and more. At various points in some artists careers they have claimed to be enslaved by their music contracts. We have reported on this sort of thing before HERE & HERE.

In my own opinion as a big fan of music and a hobby musician myself, I find it very obvious to see what is going on within the industry. Radio stations, big popular bands and artists, certain genres of music -for the most part they have a lot in common. They tend to be limited in talent and don’t write much of their own music. Their path to stardom generally comes only through essentially selling their soul or buying their way in. Of course this isn’t 100% true across the board but just looking at major acts like Drake, Jay Z, Rhianna, Lady GaGa etc, you not only see a serious lack of talent but also a plethora of symbolism in every one of their acts. It has become clear that people seem to be more so convinced and in a sense brainwashed into liking certain artists and music vs. actually liking them from the get go. This is achieved in numerous ways from repetitive choruses, constant repetition of a song, frequencies in the music, and even catchy rythmic beats the brain opens up to. I often listen to ‘underground’ bands and think to myself, I can’t understand why these arists will never see the light of day. Of course it’s within a few moments that I remember precisely why.

I think Lauryn’s cases is a great example of how far mainstream media, law, and entertainment will go to silence those who wish to point out the actual happenings within these industries. To many it is no secret that this goes on in the industry, but to most, they are unaware easily settled by the rulings of courts and cries of mainstream media that these ‘conspiracy theorists’ have a mental illness when making such claims. It is, however, encouraging to see how many artists have been speaking out and putting their reputation on the line to help spread the truth.

What if you could train happiness? Try FREE with Happify! Start personalized excerises based on your unique goals.

More From 'Alternative News'

1. Stefan

This story is daunting and sad, however, it is filled with ubiquitous truth. I myself, am not a mainstream music listener. The reason is obvious: I don’t like being forced to hear a repetitious play list of meaningless dross hour after hour. That is my choice and one by which I abide. Where talent lies, I will seek it out. I do not need to be fed an industry’s worth of pitiable garbage. By the way, ominously great article! Cheers!

2. The music industry here in the UK is a case in point. 20 years ago, the UK (and Ireland) was leading the world with the biggest live acts, and sales. Now, after blatant commercial exploitation by Simon Cowell etc.. it is a shadow of it’s former glory. Think how a music label can maximise it’s profits (I’m not going to insult your intelligence by explaining the obvious to you). The only thing that stands between the buying public and centralised profits, is talent.

3. SaumGaei

don’t lump jay z in with that pack of clowns F-

• i was gonna say, even tho
      Jay Z may be apart of “that” you can’t deny his lyrical talent.

• okat

Jay Z is at the top of the no talent, over hyped clowns….wake up!

• B

Jay Z is the fucking worst of them all!!!! In that group.

• Elmo

Just z is the fucking worst one your right

Personally never liked his music or lyrics, especially considered to some of the best in the genre, but the biggest reason he was included in the list is his blatant membership and association with the illuminati. He doesn’t hide it at all.

• That’s right. King Jay=Z and Queen Bey are the head of the illuminati.

• SitUpAndTakeNotice

Some people’s stupidity continues to stun me to this day. No Jaz Z and Beyonce are not anywhere near the top. They are ass clowns, jesters to the real elite. Are they a VERY small part of the Illuminati? Yes, that simple. Notice how those who speak out against them slowly fade away or have a “mental breakdown”. Wake up people.

• Seriously though, Beyonce has become the worst of them all. She got the super bowl half time show and the inauguration national anthem… neither of which I watched. Mostly because she used 6 different writers and producers to record the exact same line over and over again and have the nerve to call it a song. (Who runs the world? (Girls.) This is very true stuff though, They are pimping out who they want to brain wash us with. And she doesn’t exactly deny it right there? She’s running the world apparently.

• Chris Boylan

Yeah, Jay-Z and Beyonce are running the world. And Justin Bieber is plotting with Al Qaeda to bomb the Capitol Building. One Direction is secretly building hypnosis machines in their studio and are plotting to control all the governments in the western hemisphere. Ke$ha- I mean, just look at how she spells her name – is conspiring with the World Bank to control the world’s monetary supply. P. Diddy is buying up all the yellowcake uranium in Nigeria to build the world’s largest nuclear bomb. Simon Cowell has developed a super mind control drug and is scripting every word that comes out of Obama’s mouth. Clive Davis has Ronald Reagan frozen in his top secret hideout, and is going to re-animate him on 2016 so he can run for president again. Omigod, we’d better do something, quick!

4. Aside from the aspect of real musicians being screwed over or shut out of the industry entirely (I am a closet musician myself) I think it’s more disturbing this woman has been ordered to pay an exuberant tax bill, seems incredibly high, and “forced” to undergo psychiatric care for her thoughts and free speech?? That’s the BIGGEST, most disturbing part of the entire sentence! This is why I listen to Pearl Jam, the need for something real in all the chaos.

• Real Talk Williams

You can say that again. Miss Hill is the walking,living, breathing version of the “The Truth” which is why she is being treated in such a disgusting manner. I believe like many others she was invited to sell her soul and when she declined the offer to allow a Nephilim spirit posess her body inorder to maintain riches and fame She said NO THANKS…she did not need to invite evil to show how “Different” how unique she is. In addition to cuting her down in the media they are trying to shut her up & down by sending forces to threaten her. Which clearly explains why her and her family were forced into hiding.(Can’t really focus on paying uncle sam when your worried about your childrens lives) But who am I to tell it just read a book or watch a few days worth of youtube videos and learn how deep the rabbit hole really goes…

• Tom Lazer

Nephilim. Right. Stop smoking that shit its making you nuts. The real truth is people are weak. Humans always have to blame what they do on others including the boogie man devil or god with some type of will. Humans are smart and idiots. Hell yes all business is corrupt. The entire system is meant to control art, music and entertainment to give it to queers and untalented morons who try to rhyme words in a monotone while another goofball ruins an LP by scratching it to hell. Or makes dumbass noises wtih their mouths while another dope plays a drum track stolen from all the other morons who cannot play instruments but call themselves musicians and singers.

5. Lynette

@real Talk Williams……You hit the nail on the head…….remember Corey Feldman last year? He talked about the pedophilia in the industry, and how he knows being molested contributed to his friend Corey Haim’s suicide. Both of them were repeatedly molested by the entertainment industry, but the media barely mentioned it, and stated he was just a bitter and disillusioned child star! Disgusting……

6. Lynette

Joe…….good article……first one I’ve read by someone who actually has an idea what’s going on in this corrupt industry………

7. waltinseattle

i doubt the judge is tight to music ind. but someone may know the inside track. i find the mental thang frightening. will authors be next?

ive no doubt the depravity of music industry, los angeles/hollywood and many in courts. so is it confluence or is it a fixed ct? thats my q

8. Chris Boylan

Illuminati. Military Industrial complex. Please. This is some of the dumbest tripe I’ve ever read.

• Paul Cunningham

So Chris, can you tell all of us uninformed people about some of the intelligent stuff you have read for the more discerning reader ? You know what this site is about, so why visit and comment ? You obviously don’t belong here, so how about you go back to your Xfactor, your mainstream media, and your fluoridated water. You and your kind are always quick to criticize, but offer no alternative solutions. And remember Chris, opinions are like arses – everyone has one. Doesn’t make yours or mine right though. I’m not trying to suppress your right to free speech, and would defend it if necessary – but I am exercising mine and defending other’s. Be constructive in your criticism, or you’ll never be taken seriously by those of us who are already “awake” and aware that there is serious manipulation taking place in the industry. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

• Chris Boylan

Paul, I find allegations about the Illuminati and the military industrial complex affecting the music industry laughable. To me, those criticisms border on paranoia and delusion. I find your incorrect assumptions about me even more laughable. I don’t watch the x-factor. I read all media, mainstream and otherwise. “Me and my kind” – what the hell is that? You don’t know jack about me. You say “I’m not trying to suppress your right to free speech” after saying “you don’t belong here”. I really don’t care whether or not you take me seriously, because I certainly don’t take you seriously in the slightest.

• VictorG

i agree, its not that i dont want to believe, i just think ppl who are so quick to believe in the illuminati world and believe this person is in it or that person is in it, is just as brainwashed as those who follow these celebrities and idloze them without questioning, i like to take the spectator view, because at the end of the day, all of those ppl who replied to Chris Boylan,let me ask you this:

what is it exactly that YOU are doing about the illuminati, what CAN you do, what WILL you do, sit at your desktop and complain and point fingers at those you believe to be members? congrats? but you achieve nothing either way…so keep those fingers pointed and keep letting us know how much you hate Beyonce because she has no substance to her music etc…blah blah blah…you guys arent saying much either

your wasting your lives

• phil

@ VictorG…. There is plenty that “could” be done once enough people are aware or “awake” so to speak which would start by not following what the system wants you to follow….. stop buying shit you don’t need with money you either do or don’t have, stop watching tv, stop buying from takeaway chains, stop buying new technology because your TV says you should to be “up to date”….. stop all these things and start voicing your opinion in large numbers about any of these issues or anything else for that matter and soon enough things would change! The only reason nothing changes is because 90% of the population is either in a daze, hypnotized, distracted or just can’t be bothered to help spread the word and that’s what the bankers play on! For the masses to remain passively compliant doing whatever they’re told to do, how to think, what to buy and even how to live and raise your kids(if you have any).

Before anything CAN happen there has to be a “global” mass awakening for once it becomes known to the masses “exactly” what his happening, the how & why, it is only then that any sort of combined “global” action would make any significance!!

• Paul Cunningham

@Chris : Ok, so let’s call them “allegations” as you said. Why are they so laughable ? Is it beyond you, for just a moment to question what your TV and your government tells you ? – It’s not just the music industry ( from my vantage point ), but the entire mass media as a whole that I have seen has been continuously manipulated by the PTB for a very long time. I would like to tell you more, because it goes far deeper than you could possibly get your head around. I do apologise for insinuating anything about you – you are right, I don’t know “jack” about you, and vice-versa. I would however, like you to understand something. I live outside the sphere of influence that the majority of people are under. I am not a part of your society as you know it. However, I have seen first hand how the majority of this world is fed BS in such an intricate manifestation that it makes me want to cry and I do pity those of you who do not question. I am here to help, and offer solutions to this nonsense. Why are you here ? What solutions do you have to offer ? I would gladly be prepared to sit down and listen to your argument, but you don’t seem to have one, only ridicule. I am glad that you don’t want to take me seriously. I really wish you would apply that very same rationale and method of thinking to everything you see and hear. It is to your detriment that you don’t, because you are being played. Everything you were taught at school is a lie for the most part. Please understand, the real truth is far stranger than fiction, and those who manipulate you know this. They are way ahead of you and have been conditioning you since you were a young child to think that anything like this is “laughable”. But, don’t believe me, have a closer look yourself and start asking questions – you will find that you don’t get answers that are anywhere near satisfactory. Please, don’t take my word for it. Just check for yourself – do some real research. Check what is being put in your water. Check what is being put into your food and research the effects of what these altered proteins and chemicals do to your body and mind. Check what you are being sprayed with. Question what the government, TV and media tell you, and ask yourself why the world’s economies seem to be failing, and why there is so much misery and poverty in this world when there is more than enough to go around. There are enough for resources on this world to sustain another 5 billion people without modifying or synthesising anything. Ask the questions Chris, do the research. Peace be with you, and I hope that you follow up on this because your future is at stake, not just your music. Time is limited.

• Kyla

haha America is one messed up country, come to NZ or Australia, we keep it real :)

• Chris

Dude, are you for real? It’s a bunch of dopey pop music. Try to relax and enjoy yourself. You’re gonna give yourself ulcers.

• Scott

To be fair, I think what Paul was questioning is your motive for going to a site with opinion pieces that express viewpoints contrary to your own and then to have you complain about the content. It would be like an atheist voluntarily going to a fundamentalist church and then vocalizing his disagreement with every use of God or miracles during a sermon. People would begin to question such a person’s motives for being there to begin with. Are they bored with life? Angry at the church? Desire attention? Like to pick fights? Yes, Paul made some assumptions about you and then you returned the favor to Philip. So what is your motive for being here and vocalizing your opinions. Are you trying to stir up conversation that will lead to something beneficial or do you have ulterior motives?

• We don’t know you? Pal, you give yourself away, by how you’re trolling everyone else on this thread, attacking everyone.

• Chris Boylan

I haven’t attacked anyone who didn’t attack me first, pal. Hey, fix your tin foil hat, it’s on crooked.

9. Sara

A day ago I read this article. I skipped it at first because I’m not into Ms. Love, but something hooked me and I’m glad I checked it out. The article seems kinda long, but at least read the first half.

• Scott

Thanks for sharing that article. It was good hearing the opinion of an industry insider. I’m glad to see someone like Kina Grannis who actually independently made an album herself (although now she is signed to a label) and retained her creative rights. I’ve heard of other artists doing the same thing and hopefully they are rewarded for their efforts.

• Chris Boylan

Sara, I read the article. Yes, I know the music industry is a dirty business and people get ripped off. Same thing in boxing and a number of other industries. But Illuminati? Military industrial complex? And “repetitive choruses”, “frequencies in the music” and “catchy rythmic beats” (the author can’t even spell rhythmic) are given as evidence of some vast conspiracy? This doesn’t even rise to the level of a bad joke.

• Sara

I simply was offering more info in a related article I had recently run across. Just sayin’, as the saying goes.

• TheTruthisoutThere

You blinded fool! Its alot more than what you think it is! These music artists are being used as puppets to simply pass the message from their god who is satan its alot more than what your puny brain can handle.. sorry but its so sad to see that you are just a lost soul and we are all God’s children its sad to me to see a brother so blind.

• Chris Boylan

You need psychiatric help. I truly feel sorry for you.

• mari

every generaton being bombarded with bullshit is true, and also frightening. also i think my point is that if you wanted to make a whole lot of people believe something it wouldnt be very hard, i think history has shown that plenty.

• mari

my point is kids believe what they see, as everyone else on this earth does. if you grow up believing in the reality we are now experiencing, then that is gonna cause a lot of consequences down the road. i’m not really talking about the illuminati and i think people should be allowed to make up their own minds about such things as long as their heart is in the right place. my point is that the beliebers (justin bieber fans if that was unclear), the kids that love rihanna, the kids that love any big mainstream superstar, will take this to heart and believe in what they are showing, some of which are: only finding that one special person will make your life complete and happy, women should dress a certain way, men should act a certain way.. do you see my point?

• Chris Boylan

Again, to me it’s just dopey pop music. You can read into it what you will. It’s nothing new and simply not a big deal as far as I’m concerned.

• mari

chris, imagine you are a child, born maybe 5 years ago. imagine the things you will see growing up today, and hear, and believe as a result of commercials, superstar idols, mainstream media. imagine you as a five year old. would you have the sense to think that this is a big piece of bullshit, or would you believe it? what kind of morals, beliefs and thoughts would this five year old have? this is not about free thinking, intelligent adults, although i’m sure it works on a lot of them too, it’s about the generation which is growing up with this bullshit.

• Chris Boylan

Mari, what’s your point? Every generation throughout history has been bombarded with bullshit. Some people have the intelligence to think for themselves and see through the bullshit, some don’t. All this “the illuminatti are controlling people’s minds through music” is nothing but another huge pile of bullshit as far as I’m concerned.

10. kendraro

If you are interested in this topic there is an award-winning documentary coming out this summer called Artifact, made by Jared Leto and his band 30 Seconds to Mars about the lawsuit they fought with their label while making their last album, This Is War. It is supposed to be revealing of how the industry works.
    I have read an interesting book that also relates, Ticket Masters:The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped by Dean Budnick. I can recommend it to those who want an in depth look at how computerized ticket sales evolved.

• SitUpAndTakeNotice

It is sad. Some of my fav bands have sued Ticketbastard for buying all if their tickets and then selling them at an inflated (scalped) rate. SCI lost this court case in their attempt to save their fans upwards of 33% more to show that have been artificially sold out by Ticketbastard. Now TB owns Stub Hub so TB can claim sold out earlier and get even more from their own 3 party company.

11. Real Talk Williams

@Lynette Yes. I do remember Corey. He was unfortunately one of the many victims of pedophilia in the industry. Many of the heavy hitters in the industry follow the teachings of satanist Aleister Crowley who not only was initiated into the highest levels of Freemsonry as well as the high priest of Golden Dawn, much to his delight he was branded “The Wickedest Man To Ever Live”

How is it possible that this extremely evil man could write in a book of teachings saying,
    “A white male child of perfect innocence and intelligence makes the most suitable victim.”

WTF!!!! Shut the front door! Where they do that at!!!

“SOMEBODY SAY; REAL TALK WILLIAMS GO A LITTLE DEEPER WE NEED TO KNOW”

OK, Well did you know Aleister Crowley’s famous quote was “Do As Thou Wilt”

BullCrap Huh….NO…Real Talk!!!

@SaumGaei sorry to inform you but Yes your boy Jay Z… aka Hov..Short for Jehovah “God”, is at the very top of the Music industry pack of satinist’s since the paid murder of Michael Jackson. Did you know Jay-Z’s RocaWear clothing line now offers black tees & black hoodies with Crowley’s most famous quote on it “Do As Thou Wilt”….Coinsidence, NO silly Real Talk.
    “Do What Thou Wilt” is the official dictum of the Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.) and of its reformer, occultist Aleister Crowley. The O.T.O. is a hermetic order modeled after Freemasonry and German Illuminism and teaches its initiates the secrets of the Mysteries, gnosticism, sex magick, Kaballah and other occult sciences.
    Oh and let me leave you with this food for thought since I mentioned Michael Jackson…
    Check out the bottom of Michael’s “Dangerous” album cover. Just like uber famous band. “The Beatles” did before him. Answer this Who is that old caucasian man on his cover??
    Could it be A. Crowley or how about P.T. Barnum (Mike loved him some P.T. Barnum) maybe it’s a combo of the both of them??
    But really what do I know…
    You be the judge….Ijs Momma didn’t raise no fool.

12. Drew

check out knowmads, underground rap group from seatle washington, they have sick flow and a conciousness approved message :)

13. Angela

Lauryn Hill, props to you for doing the right thing!!! =) I can’t believe they are forcing you to take counseling for a so called “conspiracy theory mindset” you tell the truth and they call you a conspiracy theorist, but we know it’s the truth!! Thanks for standing up for what is right!! =)

14. Lynette

@Real Talk…..”Did you know he adopted that quote from one if our founding fathers Benjamin Franklin who was also a known occoultist/ satanist who participated in child sacrifices and ritualistic orgies & such… (Btw: This Bs still goes on today)” And let us not forget the Bushes and the British Royalty in that list!!!!!

15. MJR

This isn’t news. Well the Lauryn Hill part is, but the idea of this article has been blatantly obvious for a long time. There’s a reason I don’t listen to the radio, and I probably couldn’t name a single song that is “popular” right now of the top of my head, and this is it. And radio sucks anyway, I don’t understand what people get so enthralled by…when I do hear new “pop” songs, I have a hard differentiating one musician from another. This is also happening, and has been for a while, in so-called “alternative” rock music…but anyway, yeah that counseling part is pretty disturbing. She is just speaking the truth, at least for the most part, I think.

16. TheTruthisoutThere

Thanks for this article! its very unfortunate that ppl do become part of their blackmailing especially when they are trying to help ppl in spreading the truth. It’s also vary unfortunate that there is so many lost ppl that are to lazy to do some research because the truth is out there! But yet are so quick to open their mouth to deny deny and accuse these “conspiracy theorists” of being delusional and paranoid. That is so sad how Satan has ppl blinded but that is the mission. Its never to late to repent and start seeking out our true Father and our true Lord! The signs are everywhere in commercials, music, movies and in the news but if we are blinded we will never see the signs. We need to prepare ourselves spiritually for whats to come, its in the bible and the prophecy must take place. Atheists and unbelievers will be left in eternal sleep and the believers and faithful will have eternal life in the paradise kingdom, which one do you prefer?

17. Sianna rae

The imprisonment of Pussy Riot in Russia is an extreme example of controlling the musical messages being expressed and I’m sure a lot of messages given by musicians the ruling elite would like to control. Free speech is not a given in the music industry or anywhere else for that matter