New Study Shows Cannabinoids Improve Efficiency Of Mitochondria And Remove Damaged Brain Cells

mjA recent study conducted by Andras Biokei-Gorzo at the Institute of Molecular Psychiatry at the University of Bonn in Germany is suggesting that marijuana(or the activation of the brain’s cannabinoid system) triggers the release of antioxidants, which act as a cleansing mechanism. This process is known to remove damaged cells and improve the efficiency of mitochondria. Mitochondria is the energy source that powers cells.  The study was published in Philosophical Transactions Of The Royal Society, B. You can read the entire study here.

These discoveries shed new insight on how natural marijuana cannabinoids hold the capacity to literally kill the brain inflammation responsible for causing cognitive decline, neural failure, and brain degeneration. By supplying these receptor sites with cannabinoids, patients may be able to overcome brain conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and more, not to mention premature brain aging. The human brain contains an extensive network of special receptor sites that modulate nervous system function only when activated by the appropriate cannabinoid compounds, which are found in the marijuana plant.

Cannabinoids refer to any of a group of related compounds that include cannabinol and the active constituents of cannabis. They activate canbinoid receptors in the body. The body itself produces  compounds called endocannabinoids and they play a role in many processes within the body that help to create a healthy environment. Cannabinoids also play a role in immune system generation and re-generation. The body regenerates best when it’s saturated with Phyto-Cannabinoids. Cannabinoids can also be found in Cannabis. Cannabinoids may very well be the best cancer fighting substance out there!

Cannabinoid system activity is neuroprotective, and increasing it could be a promising strategy for slowing down the progression of brain aging and for alleviating the systems of neurodegenerative disorders -Andras Biokei

Gery Wenk, a professor of neuroscience, immunology and medical genetics at Ohio State University conducted some of the research that came out of the study from Germany. He stated that this is a positive step, and that it is encouraging to see the potential development of cannabinoid solutions without going overboard. Here is what he said.

I’ve been trying to find a drug that will reduce brain inflammation and restore cognitive function in rats for over 25 years; cannabinoids are the first and only class of drugs that have ever been effective. I think that the perception about this drug is changing and in the future people will be less fearful. – Gerry Wenk, Professor of neuroscience, immunology and medical genetics at Ohio State University

Biokei-Gorzo and his collegues said that the greatest hurdle for moving forward with their research are the social and political challenges. This isn’t something new, our world seems to be dominated by belief systems instead of obvious fact. It’s discouraging to see beliefs  and persuasion overrule truth. At the same time it’s very encouraging to see truth slowly creep its way into the norm. That’s always how it has been done throughout human history. It’s quite evident that the powers that be do not want to legalize marijuana, and we know that they do not have our best interest at hand. If it was legalized, I’m sure it would be distributed and tweaked by big pharmaceutical companies.

On the other hand there have been a number of studies that show how marijuana can actually reduce brain power and impair working memory. The amount of studies that show the potential benefits of marijuana is outstanding, and the potential harmful effects are in the few, if any at all. As far as medicinal use goes, I think that is a no brainer. I definitely believe nature intended marijuana to be used for its health and healing properties.

1. Maybe this is why BushCheneyRumsfeld could do the stupid, horrible things they did in Afghanistan and Iraq–they are cannabinoid-depleted. Their brains are filled with dead cells and lack of energy. Being afraid of one’s inner hippie is not a good thing.

• yes, and then they will lose their minds as they age and maybe the best help for that is illegal. But wait they are rich and powerful and can do whatever they want…so they can get whatever they want….frustrating! I am convinced that therapy with Cannabinoids could help many of the medical problems i suffer from, but I live in a country that would rather back big Pharma, Alcohol and Tobbacco…so i suffer!

• I agree—the pharmaceutical companies are getting rich –while we suffer needlessly. there are so many natural remedies we used when I was young and still try to do the same things. I certainly didn’t run to the doctors and hospitals for medicine –with 6 children. the home remedies helped –. I have also been going to chiropractors— for 40 years .I take vitamins–minerals and herbal products. I am now 80 years young . my grandmother lived to 98. I also exercise and have a social life with my husband. I keep my mind and body very busy. my cup is only half full and still going. I pray more people will start paying more attention to these findings . .all these drugs are making people sick , suffering and dying early–there is still hope for the coming generations.

• So explain Barry’s evil deeds oh wait he was a joint bumming Bogart. And Plugs Biden well we all know his brain is pickled from years of alcohol abuse

• crazybaldhead

Barry shouldn’t have stopped back in the 80s. This psychosis is the result of his clean living, you see.

2. Jo Muck

Very good article! It just blows my mind that we are allowing people to die and not giving them the opportunity to decide for themselves how they want to treat their cancer! That marijuana is still a schedule I substance! Until this changes alot of research will not take place, because there is no money for it, it being a dangerous drug with “NO” medical benefits what so ever! For such a rich and intelligent country, we sure have a DUMB government! I just hope I live long enough to see it legalized! In the meantime. I’ll continue to put myself at risk each mo. traveling to buy my monthly “CARTEL” weed! Which by the way is GARBAGE! God Bless all who are sick, I will pray for you and your family! Jo

3. An interesting clarification, as to why, calling Cannabis “marihuana” plays right into the political game….

Mr. Anslinger “As I say, marihuana is the same as Indian hemp, and is sometimes found as a residual weed, and sometimes as the result of a dissemination of birdseed. It is known as cannabin, cannabis Americana, or Cannabis Sativa. Marihuana is the Mexican term for cannabis indica. We seem to have adopted the Mexican terminology, and we call it marihuana, which means good feeling. In the underworld it is referred to by such colorful, colloquial names as reefer, muggles, Indian hay, hot hay, and weed. It is known in various countries by a variety of names.”

4. cindy

My daughter suffered some brain damage and was medicating with cannabis for another condition. Her dad and I realized after about a month that her brain seemed to be repairing itself . We always thought it was the cannabis that did it ! And now our suspicions are confirmed.

• Well done, would be nice if cases like this get more into the media, please.

• kaledog

w00t!!

5. FROM THE HUFFINGTON POST “I recommend an excellent documentary film, ‘WHAT IF CANNABIS CURED CANCER,” by Len Richmond, which summarizes the remarkable research findings of recent years about the cancer-protective effects of novel compounds in marijuana. Most medical doctors are not aware of this information and its implications for cancer prevention and treatment.”- ANDREW WEIL, M.D.

Using original and archival footage,”WHAT IF CANNABIS CURED CANCER” presents highly convincing evidence that this forbidden herb has healing properties beyond any other plant on the planet.

YouTube Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnP8IugJCHM&feature=channel

Film Website: http://lenrichmondfilms.com/

Available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/What-if-Cannabis-Cured-Cancer/dp/B003SSBSQQ

6. I believe that this is a very under estimated plant in more areas than one. Pine Junction,Colorado

7. jenn

They have known for years that it helps fight cancer along with many other issues. The problem is.. they can’t patend it.. and the drug companies will lose money on all the drugs they push. The R/B administration made the US labs destroy all of their research when they began the war on drugs in the 80s. It easier to tell lies when the proof is being shredded. Shame on them. I have a mito disorder.. and I know how much it helps me. but by I put myself at risk of jail in order to be functional.. makes complete sense doesn’t it :-( smh
    Very happy to see eyes opening

8. willieg

We will win this illegal war against our health because cannabis contains a plethora of positive effects unlike the propaganda the US Government has been spreading over the past 40 years and continues to do so up to today. This corrupt governement is no different than any third world country and this is just another war crime. They should be brought to the Hague for Iraq and this ridiculous war on cannabis. It’s called SCIENCE stupid.

9. “They’ know that it has all of these totally positive properties but big pharma cannot make the zillions they want to out of natural products and by denying us the right to use the perfect medicine for cancer and many other conditions ‘they’ can keep the population diseased and in a state of immuno compromise. History will prove Cannabis to be ‘the’ cure for cancer – most likely because it stops it from forming in the first place

10. Dj

I increase my natural endocannabinoïden by exercising regularly, not by smoking.

(Source: FIT from J. Ratey)

11. potlover

Well if cannabis is supposed to improve brain function why are pot heads, like me, aren’t able to get good grades? how come I’m not Einstein and not revolutionizing education and innovating the scientific field and creating new intellectual content? How come when I’m blazed everything I do seems slow?

• R

Well I’d say that you are a bit too sensitive to it if the marijuana is making you slower and dumber. Ive smoked for 31 years and am as sharp as a tack. I often used to get high BEFORE a test and, invariably, have always done well.

Marijuana won’t make you dumb…. but genetics and poor nurturing will.

• Nick

I smoke weed a lot, I don’t feel slower or less productive.

I didn’t do well in exams/schooling for many reasons, they’re quite personal so I won’t go into detail.

I could never blame my own shortcomings on the fact that I smoked a plant every now and then.

• The answer is simple…….you sir are just lazy

• timothy fish

yessir, that’s exactly what i was thinking.

• j.lynch

Because you have to realize it doesn’t work for you.

• Well a long time ago when I was a young pot head (I’m 50 and sober now) The problems I had with school turned out to have nothing to do with pot, they turned out to be dyslexia which I didn’t even know until I was 30. If you have something like that going on your brain has to learn how to compensate in this world because it thinks differently than most people. Dyslexics have a different way of problem solving for example. When an adult who is dyslexia teaches a kid who is, one on one, somehow they are able to pass along the compensation skills they learned. School teaches in one particular way and only in that way. We are now learning that way is only appropriate for about 75% of the kids for various reasons. A different perception of time is something that can happen on many substances and it is different for different people if things are slow when you are high perhaps there is a reason for that, your brain wants things slowed down, to soak things in an absorb. That in itself may be a clue to how you like to learn and what learning environment would work best for you,

• Exactly tatiacha

I too have Slydexia, and have had to teach myself a different way to learn and understand things. i also like to read a lot at my own pace.

I have never had any problems with learning while stoned.

In fact it is only when i am high that i can compress the background noise around me so I can compose music and lyrics,

I also LOVE to have 50 million windows opened on my browsers, and keep tabs and up with all of them. My brain likes to be stimulated in this way. But i have found it isnt for everyone.

thanks for sharing what ive been thinking
        pokerface.com

• Speak for yourself, lol! I graduated high school in 2.5 years, in 1979, I then raised kids. After the last one was out of the house, I went back to school to get my BS in Psychology. I graduated with a 3.59 and as a member of the Tau Sigma honors society.
      I have no trouble at all with my working memory or my motivation.
      I think the majority of those that deal with the lethargy may do so out of the placebo effect. Or the nocebo, to be accurate.
      They believe that it is causing them problems so it is.
      Belief is very important.
      There are lots of intellectuals that smoke pot. They are just smart enough to hide that usage.

• timothy fish

Exactly, colleenpatriciawilliams

i smoke, have smoked since i was 18…now i’m 60 and i’ve never had a problem with absent mindedness nor lethargy nor “the munchies”.

i’m rather intelligent…3.75 getting a BA in English/Lauguage Arts….after 15 years in the U.S. Army.
        i do my best studying, thinking and working when a little high.

• timothy fish

i should also add….
          at age 53…after being right handed all my life…i taught myself to be left handed after the affects of an Airborne jump gone bad in 1973 caused my right shoulder to be rendered almost useless in using my right hand at age 52.

• Dani

EXACTLY!! ^ hah hit the nail on the head! lol

• Weed Advocate

Cause you are probably one of the 20% that this compound is not compatible with. and potheads like you give the rest of us who really need and love this plant a bad name. furthermore, you are probably too young and just doing it cause you have no personality of your own and just follow the crowd..
      This plant has helped me reach the deepest edges of mathematics and understanding of the universe, hence leading me to God (mathematically) it also helps people with seizures and epilepsy. if you smoke it to fit in or just because you are weak, i suggest you stop and realize that it is not for you but for other people. Find something else. Get a life and you wont be an Einstein by sitting on your ass. if you cant control it and let it control you then just stop what you are doing silly boy…

• timothy fish

Thank You, Weed Advocate.

• Well said … and I wanna add only one thing; misuse by pot-heads isn’t an argument against medicinal use ! Let them smoke it, it will not harm them if they use it responsible, i.e. no mixing with alcohol or other drugs is important !

Because it’s best eaten and not smoked :) By that I dont mean brownies either. Cannabinoids are most therapeutic when they are not heated. Raw or juiced cannabis provides best results. Plus getting good grades means nothing really. Memorize and repeat does not = intelligence.

12. diana

i cant believe im just reading this article….wow! i had no idea. do anyone know any more articles about eye openers or things like this..so intrested..

13. Dani

I was Diagnosed with CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome due to brain swelling) and let me tell you, due to my severe drug allergies the medical cannabis I get is the ONLY thing keeping me alive in my and my Dr.’s opinions.

14. KS

“In preclinical models of neurodegenerative disorders, cannabinoids show beneficial effects, but the clinical evidence regarding their efficacy as therapeutic tools is either inconclusive or still missing.”
    —From the abstract of the cited paper

15. The smoking of it is all part of the serpent of the true medical benefits. Not only do it desrow the beneficial cannabinoids the pursuit of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol thow selective breeding has lowered the cbd’s.

16. Shelly

Weed country… Have a look, it’s an American series. Some is a laugh but some of it is relative to Cannabinoids discussion above. :)

17. I want to stress an important matter – but really don’t know how to go about it; so I’ll just put it out there and let you ‘have your way’ at it:

In general thought – CANCER has always been around as long as there have been people (and probably even before that; found in animals), but it have never been as aggressive and widespread as it is today.
    When did we start to see a boom in cancer variations and the ominous increase in numbers? Mid-20th century.
    When did the ‘Reefer-Madness’ propaganda start? Early-20th century.
    Hemp as a nutrient was slowly but surely fazed out throughout the rapidly growing industrial food-industry.
    …And what do I mean by this? Well; my thought is that the drastically decreased consumption of hemp combined with nothing to even fill that gap (addressing nutrients level), practically have led to our species’ malnutrition. Humans have cannabinoid-receptors throughout our whole body; and in no other way will you manage to satisfy your ‘inner clockwork’, than to have a regular intake of natural fat-acids from this plant which have been around since the dawn of man (and probably an animal or two…). Just saying! Think about it!!!

• Ash

Cancer is mutated cells, there’s so many studies showing that it can repair damaged cells.
      I agree with your statement wholeheartedly. However I also think that the amount of chemicals, unnatural to the human body, that are in our food, water and that we are just exposed to all the time have had a huge impact as well.

• DrSteven

CBD, cannabidiol, is in both marijuana and hemp (also cannabis).

Time to take marijuana away from the cartels and regulate this substance! Youth use goes down when prohibition is lifted and taxes can help this economy.

How to invest in this economy or get the benefits of cannabis no matter where you live?

Hemp is legal to possess in ALL 50 states.

Legal states for all cannabis (legal thc containing cannabis) are noticing that half of all sales are for edibles and extracts!

The premier company in the legal state of Colorado is Dixie Botanicals and DIxie Elixers, two companies owned by MJNA.

MJNA is the alpha source of CBD from legal hemp through their other company RSHO (Phytosphere)!

MJNA, a stock traded on the stock market is about to rocket up!

As well for those that want CBD they can order it from ANY state legally from MJNA (phytosphere) or from Dixie Botanicals!

Invest in the “Green Rush”! MJNA is the ALPHA company to invest in! Investing in MJNA is investing in America! Help the sick and take cannabis away from the overseas cartels by investing in MJNA!”

18. Mason AKA Lono

everyone has a valide point. And I see no problem with just loving a plant for what it does. i’m high right now. but am i speaking clearly, do i make sense? yes… no. it doesn’t matter. 1 Love.

19. vdh

Hhmmmm…. improved efficiency of mitochondria after a joint…. that must be the reason we get so hungry after one :p

20. growweedeasy

I appreciate you taking the time to write this article!

21. Saint Andrew

Science hasn’t figured out yet thay the over 500 identified compounds found in cannabis are essential nutrients, predominantly all tied to the endocannabinoid system of all vertebrate animals and this system touches on almost every one of our 210 cell types in 100’s if not t1000s of health benefitting ways. There’s no drug in here, no medicine. if this were on everyone’s plate in portions every day, they would likely never disease and live well into their 120s. I have pored through over 25,000 of the over 40,000 research abstracts and reports at NIH’S PubMed website. This entire struggle and direction is so far off skewed from where it needs to be it’s not funny anymore.

22. Saint Andrew

There are at least 5 known genetic repairants compounds in this plant and at least one that enhances cell life, or increases, by 1.5 times. Two are found in the seed oil
    .Edestin, only found in cannabis, comprises about 63% of the oil from seed, Albumin, 30%, both 100% digestible proteins, compared to meat’s 12 to 14%.