A Man Claims to Have Not Eaten or Drank Any Liquids For 70 Years. Science Examines Him

janiIs it possible for us to survive with no food and water? Doctors are trying to determine that as they are baffled by an Indian man who claims not to have eaten or drank anything for the last 70 years. What is even more shocking? He is in perfect health.

Prahlad Jani is a local to the Indian city of Ahmedabad and is claiming he has not consumed any food or liquids since he was 8-years old. He also claims to have been blessed at the age of 8 by a goddess. This allows him to survive without sustenance except for that which he derives from the practice of meditation.

From April 22nd until  May 6th 2010 in the private hospital Sterling Hospital, Prahlad Jani was observed and tested by Sudhir Shah and a team of 35 researchers all from the Indian Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS) and other organizations.

The large team studied Jani daily using clinical examinations, blood tests, and scans. 24 hour CCTV surveillance was used to ensure the maximum observation of Jani’s actions during the testing period. According to researchers, the only time Jani was taken out of his sealed room was for tests and exposure to sun. During these times, continuous video recording was done to ensure authenticity of results. Jani only had contact with any form of liquid when he had an occasional bathing session, which first took place on day 5, and when he would gargle some water. It is important to note that his toilet was sealed to test his claims that he did not urinate or defecate.

After the fifteen days of intensive observation during which Jani did not eat, drink or go to the toilet, all medical test results came back as normal and doctors described his health as being better than someone half his age. Interestingly, doctors reported that although the amount of liquid in Jani’s bladder fluctuated and that Jani appeared “able to generate urine in his bladder”, he did not pass any urine. The reported levels of Jani’ leptin and ghrelin, two appetite-related hormones, suggested that Jani may be demonstrating an extreme form of adaptation to starvation and water restriction.

Even after the 15 day examination, DIPAS is still interested in running tests on Jani to determine how metabolic waste material is eliminated from his body, where he gets his energy for sustenance, and how he maintains his hydration status.

The director of DIPAS believes that the results of Jani’s observations could “tremendously benefit mankind.” Professor Anil Gupta of SRISTI, involved in monitoring the tests, described the team as being “intrigued” by Jani’s kriyas apparently allowing him to control his body’s physiological functions.

Most people can live without food for several weeks, with the body drawing on its fat and protein stores. But the average human can survive for only three to four days without water. How is Jani able to achieve what he is achieving? Some believe that his access to bathing allowed him to store liquid in the body. Since the observation did not go on for longer than 15 days, some believe he might have eaten or drank after.

But Jani is not the first person to be tested with such claims. HRM, another Indian man, was tested for 411 days intensively after he claimed that he did not eat any food. While HRM did consume boiled water, during his 411 day observation it was confirmed that he did not eat during the period and yet his health was perfect.

To me this is exciting because regardless of the current science we accept when it comes to the physiology of the body, we are seeing that we may not have it all correct and that it is possible to change the consciousness of our body to operate differently. Having tried sungazing for several long periods myself, I can attest to the fact that you certainly get energy, and what feels like nutrient energy, from the sun alone. While sungazing, I found I could perform physical activity with much more energy than I could while eating healthy meals. Of course I cannot say my results are conclusive as I did not do them for long enough, but it’s my experience on the matter.

Here is more on Jani’s tests.

Take The 30 Days of YOU Challenge!

Take the free 30 Days of You Challenge and discover more about your heart, mind and soul.

There are powerful benefits associated with taking time to relax, meditate, do things you love etc, but that means taking YOU time!

This challenge will help you set out on a journey to getting powerful habits started that can transform your life.

Join the free challenge and get the full guidelines on how to do it as well as support throughout the challenge.

Click Here!

More From 'Health'

1. Xaka

I actually enjoy eating. And, drinking. While this may be interesting in passing, it’s certainly not an aspiration I hold.

• Mark

Eat or be eaten, it’s the natural order of life. Anyone that thinks differently is either an idiot or in their on fantasy land. You will eat and drink or you will die.

• Kumar Shantanu

I agree with you Mark… In India you get to hear a lot of supernatural in the name of spirituality and religion….. If this man knows how to survive without food… then he should teach his trick to starving millions in this country.

• Emrah

Maybe your the idiot because you don’t know enough? Iv come across this before many times and iv read about it a few times one day humans will be advanced spiritual beings we wont require food and water we will gain energy through actually vibrating energy if you have ever had an out of body experience you will know what i mean.

• Andy

Mark seriosusly… You are one of those idiots…

• So what you’re saying is anyone who doesn’t agree with your >personal opinion< is an idiot or is in fantasy land? rofl

• in this instance, anyone who believes a human can stay alive without food or water is living in fantasy land and/or a total idiot. if you think its possible give it a try and see what happens lol

• You could enjoy it more if you weren’t dependent on it…

• russ hook

@Xaka, do you enjoy the tortured DEAD ANIMALS rotting in your guts also?

• Where did he mention he eats animals? Hmm? Hmm?! HMM!?

• MeatIsDelicious

I enjoy it a lot more than eating a living animal, that sounds like it would be awful!

• ArmyMedic

that escalated rather quickly…

• yes, yes I do love the rotting animal carcass pieces in my guts, what’s more I like to make the animal rotting animals in my guts dead myself. Stupid hippy.

• Andreas

I , too like eating meat. Cooked right and it´s delicius :) pref..grilled. However I do not like the fact that it´s a norm in society and I do eat less meat nowdays. I belive if you do meditation you can focus your mind to adapt to any condition overtime and release the needs of things and pleasures and of course the need of food. All energy we need comes from the SUN in all of the light spectrum. Research sungazing and think about why you eat less in summer.

• you are a complete ignorant.
          While 250.000 children died of starvation around the world every day, the meat industry is feeding the animals you eat for months and years, giving them so much food to make them so fat is almost inmoral.
          So what is your point? I believe you dont have one.
          Stop playing games and watching tv all day dude, cuz you look like a stupid here.

2. xaka the point is can we live without access to food when the time comes…what we think we become.

• Toby Waller

Actually, according to the story he was ‘blessed by a goddess at age 8′. Only after that was he able to live without food or water. So, if you have no goddess in your back pocket, you should probably keep eating food and drinking water.

• Ina Blümers.

Yes! You schuld!

• russ hook

Good point Shebe! Just by relating this, you show just how much further you have EVOLVED past the likes of Xaka. Yet, we are all ‘EQUAL’???? I don’t think so!

3. Imagine if we didn’t have to poop.. lol

4. Liz Gunn

Joe, I just found this page. I love your energy . You feel clear to me, and your passion is wonderful. I will follow keenly . Thank you for doing your part to create a more loving caring evolved world . Liz from NZ

5. Stuart Railton

Yogananda, in his book ‘Autobiography of a Yogi’, published over 50 years ago, cited several cases of ‘breatharians’.

• so a man writes something in a book and you think that constitutes actual evidence..

• There is a group of Breatharians at Penn State University, and none have eaten in years.

• russ hook

I just hope Jerry Sandusky wasn’t ‘coaching’ them Gretchen! (; BTW, I am also a Kennedy! R U gunshy also? lol

6. Skeptic

Recently there was a british women in the USA, who thought she could survive on sunlight only. You cant, she failed. Lets see the real science of what is happening. Lots of people in India make money from gullible people, since there is a great deal of poverty, so fraud is rife. If you had 100% proof, I would agree wholeheartedly. This isnt. peace.

• Skeptic Dad

Your @#$& IQ cant even think of the power of an indian brain. So jus leave the matter. U wont get it. 😛

• Mark Dyar

Right, that’s why their culture is so successful.

Check out the story of HRM as well, he was observed for 411 days. Obviously there can be no way that you will know with 100% fact while you sit in your computer chair and they test in India, but at the same time sometimes just keeping an open mind is great. There are thousands of people in this world who live off of sunlight only. They are breatharians. You don’t hear of it often but it does exist. Can you know that 100%? No, but there are many things we don’t know even 50% yet we take as fact because we have been told it so many times. I personally feel this is fascinating stuff :)

• Skeptic

Certainly fascinating, however there is no actual proof, only hear say. I will believe when you provide the evidence. Why not comment on the failure of the British women in the USA, who decided to see if breatharians can survive on sunlight. A lot of people fast on a regular basis, they dont claim there living on sunlight though.

• I don’t think one should search for evidence of truth, the only true way to see the truth is through realization and negation of all that is false, ask questions and you will find answers!

YOU ARE LOVED!

• Ina Blümers.

Agree!

• Dutyfool ta yew tank ye bhut furst, wat teyem werd yew boarned ate? Cooed meen alot

For HRM I believe there is proof in the documented scientific research that went into it. It wasn’t taken lightly. You can check him out further. He did admit to eating since that point on occasion but during the 411 days he did not. I can understand how anyone could fail at not eating as if you aren’t in the right frame of mind and consciousness to do it, it can very easily go wrong. I’m not saying this is for everyone, just that it is possible.

• Do they go hungry when it’s cloudy?

7. Caroline K.

Breatharianism is a siddhi (power). Some have this destiny and some do not. It is according to one’s destiny and God’s Will. It is resultant of the 5th eye (not the third, but the fifth) opening. Some would consider it a distraction from enlightenment. It is a part of an individual’s destiny, just as it may be an individual destiny to live two lifetimes or more. It really has little to do with science, but more to do with spirituality and enlightenment and grace and indiviual destiny.

• 400 years ago there were people who didn’t believe gravity was a scientific fact. Then they all died, and everyone in the world agreed about gravity.

Evolve or die is the path of humanity…and I don’t think we were meant to become robots (Further infusing our lives with technology).

8. another fake with a man who eat the sun

• There have been many scientifically tested accounts of sadhus living on air btw. Somehow I find it unlikely that all these scientists would jeopardize their reputation just to make some sensational news. It’s not like these yogis are rich enough to bribe them either. I feel sorry for you since you are a close minded materialist and would refute something that has evidence just because it’s out of your belief system.

• qweqwe

Link some of these studies then?

Kind of an odd statement given the fact there is virtually no evidence at this point to suggest it’s fake.

• russ hook

Hi Joe, those one-celled knuckle-draggers on here need 100% proof? Anyone who has fasted for any length of time LIVES the proof, but the WEAK-MINDED FOOLS with ZERO will-power will always need ‘proof’. This is the difference between someone who is connected to their God-Self, and the majority, who are toxic consumers/bots!

• Fasting for a few hours a day is a heck of a lot different from fasting for 70+ years.

Also like all “spiritually enlightened people” you resort to insults and name calling and looking down on those who disagree with you. Kek.

• Thewiremother

you actually seem to be the most toxic person in the thread.

• i was thinking the same thing lol. lots of name calling and assumptions it seems to me from them.

9. What kind of a life is it? Does he just lie around meditating and conserving energy? What does he do with his time?

Tough to say. But it is misleading in the video because he is in the observation room in the hospital. Since it needed to be sealed, it makes it seem as though all he might do is lay around and meditate. But I imagine he lives a rather ‘normal’ life for the most part.

• Joe V.

Would like to hear more about this. Seems legit so far and is surely an amazing thing. We have not even scratched the surface of the power of the human mind individually. Can you imagine collectively? I’m getting ahead of myself tho.

It is a very interesting story and I agree with you that we are only uncovering much of what the human body and consciousness is capable of. ALready there are many amazing things happening in the world that would blow the minds of many of us but we don’t hear about it often as the mainstream does not want to touch it. That’s all changing though :)

• Ina Blümers.

So true!

• magicmiss

I agree, there’s much we dont know, and even more we’re not being told,but for the spiritual journey, thats an individual thing, though there does seem to be a mass awakening going on round the planet, i just hope enough people wake up in time. peace.

• Sue

I’ve studied shamanism and this is in line with what the shaman sees of the world to come.

10. Rita

simply amazing, thank you so much for posting such great things. Will be following!

11. ivan

I wish this knowledge could be reachable for some common people like me. Real meditation .

12. It is very much possible there was a lady in Rajasthan India who had never eaten or drank water survived about 80 years of age . Aghori Sadhus met some of them during my visits to Himalayas tell me about process by meditation they can drive energy from Sun and air and by lowering rhythm of breathing conserve energy during period of hibernation but only for few months was maximum the ones i met could do it .

13. It would be really nice if reporters could actually use correct grammar. Your headline: “…claims to have not eaten or drank…” Good goddess, it’s “drunk”, not “drank”!! I saw a similar mistake in the article in at least one instance, but did not read the entire article so there could be more. Example: “…some believe he might have eaten or drank after.” What? Again, it’s “may have…drunk”! Also, “…or drank after”??? After what? What kind of sentence is this? Geez…what do they teach in journalism school these days?

• Erin

Barbara, you might want to remember that the English language is one of the fastest changing and most flexible languages on this planet. Journalism has many faults these days, and grammar is certainly one of them, but you may do well to check on the latest rules before you post.

We have given up distinguishing between past perfect and simple past a long time ago. Instead of writing “I did go to the store” we say “I went to the store.” Same thing with “have drunk” and “drank” Especially in this case where the “might have” is technically indicating a separate case. In French it’s Plus que parfait, but I can’t remember what it is in English.

• Ina Blümers.

………..! Its about the story! Howe cares about the grammatica! Sorry for my bad English, im Dutsh.

• In English, the simple past phrase “I went to the store” would be written in the perfect as “I have gone to the store.”

The emphasis is quite different. It is on the result of the action, not the action itself. To make it clearer, compare “I wrote a novel” to “I have written a novel.” This distinction is still quite present in English, even if it is subtle.

• Johnny Engels

In England we go to the shop, not the store, unless we have a personal store, which is kept in a store room.

• “I went to the store” is the perfect and so is “I did go to the store” The verb do/does/did is added merely for emphasis. “I do go to the store” is the same as “I go to the store”.

drunk is an archaic from of drank. They both are the same thing. Looked it up before I posted :)

14. William

This Dr.Shah who is head of the examination has been implicated in at least three other frauds.He will not allow independent parties to examine this man especially the Indian Rationalist Society who have debunked various claims such as this throughout the country.Please read the article for the story.
    It’s fine to have an open mind,just don’t be so open it falls out and you fail to use critical thinking and skepticism.A simple search wielded these results.
    I understand a need to believe in stuff like this but facts are facts.Stop being so gullible.

Even if this man has had these claims, there are thousands of other breatharians and other cases. For me it’s not about being gullible as this is one case of many many others that I have seen.

• Caroline K.

Jo, Thank you for all that you do post and the accuracy that you strive for and research you do because it shows and does make a difference. I definitely appreciate that and am aware of it in your postings. I find you to be really reliable that way.

For some odd reason I knew that about breatharianism. I should have just e-mailed that info to you to use as you wished to, rather than do it as a comment. I apologize–I could have made that effort and been more compassionate in regard to that.

• William

Breatharians?Please let’s get some actual non biased studies done on this.I’m sure the children in Africa dying of starvation and malnutrition would love to have these techniques so they won’t die.I’m sorry recently that woman tried to live off the sun alone and stopped a few days into with some bogus claim.Come on man this is B.S.
        Let’s see those others that you’ve seen and I’ll do some quick research on them and let’s see what I come up with.

• There is no such thing as an unbiased study because the act of observation is inherently judgmental. No matter what an experimenter does, he always sees the world through his eyes, morals and values, thus creating bias.

I don’t think it’s fair to say we know this is BS given what is out there. I would love to see a brand new study done, but unfortunately it would require huge grants and no one would invest in it as they don’t see profit at the end of the study. If they did, I am sure someone would invest in a solid study.

• Ina Blümers.

Agree!

• russ hook

Thanx Joe, the programmed bots need ‘OFFICIAL’ proof from ‘OFFICIAL’ sources! lol That is what their edumacational system demands! (; Maybe McDonalds could do a ‘study’ on this? That would make the toxic bots happy eh! lol

15. For those that want to know more about HRM, check out the movie “Eat The Sun.” I watched the full version on Youtube, but don’t know if it’s still up or not.

16. William

Just a quick search for Breatharians came up with a youtube video discrediting it and at least four other frauds.Wily Brooks was caught eating chicken,Jasmuheen was on the verge of system failure and some of her followers have died by trying this.Hira Ratan Manek another patient of Dr.,Shah In the documentary “Eat the Sun” (2011-Peter Sorcher), he was caught on camera eating a big meal in a restaurant on 500 Haight Street, San Francisco, I really don’t think I need to give anymore examples.

Granted, and they admitted to such. But during HRM’s 411 day observation it was documented that he didn’t eat.

• because the whole thing was a fraud including the ‘scientists’ who were witnessing him

17. DomPoncho
  18. Brian

Have never met any breatharians, remember however having the belief that seeing some one levitate would be like an earth shattering experience, when in reality it was like hmmm ok thats cool, whats on at the movies?? getting blessing from his goddess would of been awesome for him, yet at end of day we all have to work out our own salvation, no one else can do this for us no matter how far evolved they are… We are human beings at this moment and that is so precious, all I want is true peace and true happeness, hope that this is a goal worthy of the many lives I’ve spent working towards it…. Yes some people have “supernatural powers” but watching a snowboarder get good air, or a surfer catch a great barrel is on the most part far more interesting… :)…