Pope Francis States Ideological Christians Have An “Illness”

Pope-Francis

After only stepping into power earlier in 2013 after Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation, Pope Francis is creating quite the stir around his views on the “extremist” ideals of the Christian Right.

Pope Francis recently made quite the stir after commenting on the ideological purity in religion, particularly with regards to Christianity, claiming that such ideological extremism is dangerous to the entire world. This statement is pretty massive in respect to the current state of Christianity.  During a daily Mass in late October, the Pope spoke about economic inequality and anti-gay/anti-abortion opinions which have been at the forefront of American Christianity for the longest time.

According to a report from Radio Vatican, the Pope was quoted as stated the following:

“In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid. And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements. The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people. But it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

Pope Francis’ statement is a radical one to say the least; no Pope prior to his reign has ever talked about Christianity in such a light. The beliefs around homosexuality, abortion, and contraception have held strong within the religion for many years now, and have been the cause of much protest and disagreement within North American society. Pope Francis suggests that the war on abortion has gone too far, and that homosexuals should not be hated in the way that is promoted by the extreme ideals of the Christian Right. He also states that this extremism has damaged religion today by abandoning the true teachings of Jesus, turning many away from its following.

The question begs, what could be the reason Pope Francis is suddenly speaking out against the theology in a way that rejects its deepest dogmas?  Perhaps the goal of Pope Francis is to transform the rigidity of a religion that has been so established in its views. Maybe the Pope is trying to attract a wider audience by promoting more liberal beliefs after the controversy that has plagued the Vatican the past few years, with allegations of pedophilia within the hierarchy circles and the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI earlier this year. It could be that Pope Francis is the radical leader who is going to make some changes within the archaic traditions of Christianity.

What is clear is that this is a major moment in the history of religion, and the words of Pope Francis could be the spark for a large divide within the religious communities. What do you think of Pope Francis’s words?

^^Pope Francis stating his views on Christianity’s current state ^^

References:

1.) http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/21/pope-francis-right-wing-christians/

Take The 30 Days of YOU Challenge!

Take the free 30 Days of You Challenge and discover more about your heart, mind and soul.

There are powerful benefits associated with taking time to relax, meditate, do things you love etc, but that means taking YOU time!

This challenge will help you set out on a journey to getting powerful habits started that can transform your life.

Join the free challenge and get the full guidelines on how to do it as well as support throughout the challenge.

Click Here!

More From 'Alternative News'

1. estefania

I think Pope Francis finally has the right idea: God is love, God is tenderness! Not hate, not rigid rules of punishment… those are purely human and we cannot atribute those faulty qualities we have to Him. I do not belong to any religion, I think religions divide people, and I think that everybody’s spiritual path is and should be different. That said, all that can be agreed upon, is that love is everything… no matter if you want to call it God, Buddha, or energy. It is all about loving!

• Amen!

• Travieso

Amen to you Estefania, I also view religion more as a big wall diving humanity from true love than anything else. In my opinion, religion creates more false ideologies of what truth is …

2. Paul

I would imagine that Pope Francis, in his wisdom, is simply stating the truth and that is his one and only goal. Dogma eventually always takes a back seat in regards to the truth. No matter how scary.

• Magnus Stenbock

If that draws you to a Christ-centered life then mission accomplished!

3. Ruben

It’s all about love but who created love? Who was the Master of Love? if we Listen careful the words of Jesus you’ll know He is the only way..He’ll wait and guide you but He respects your free will… if you want what He is offering? oh well… supernatural powers… receiving the Holy Spirit… If only people knew how it feels??? the Spirit of the Lord inside of us without any fear…oh… every word of Jesus Christ is true,,, these are the days,,,God has returned..He is the Light…He is the Father…He is Spirit…He came as promise to live in us…those who love His Son

• Damian Caligula

Really every word he spoke is true? How about this-“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS. 28″Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.” Those people have been dead for more than two thousand years, and he hasn’t come back. He was wrong. If he was God he wouldn’t be making mistakes like that. It’s Matthew 16:28 by the way.

• Michael

what about the Buddha, Mohamed, or Mother Earth.. We are all one.. The ideas that Jesus is the only path is what starts this frame of ideology, of a singular ruthless God in the sky, eyeing down on us, and selecting those who follow HIS dogma.. I don’t know about you, but I feel like I was born from my Mothers whom, and grew out of Mother Earth, in which our NATURE IS LOVE.. Not something that was made, but something that naturally grows. Our nature is effortless, and humane, like a newborn baby seeking its mothers breast, or the way our body’s heal and advert pain. As Alan Watts said- the earth ‘peoples’ like and apple tree apples.. This is rather hard for people to grasp, when we are so wrapped up in the idea of separate identity (a religious idea, not a spiritual one).. what happened to love thy neighbor? (especially our eternal Mother, which we are destroying). the more I think about Jesus, the more I see the similarities in the messages of interconnectedness as eastern thought. (I used to get way more riled up when people started talking about getting saved, or labeling who is going to hell). in western Christian culture, if I said I am a god, then people get a little unnerved. In Eastern culture, its a simple concept, which I think is very similar to yours beliefs of Jesus within.. We hold the history of the cosmos within. The same energy in the stars, is pumping our hearts and sending electrical signals through our nerves.. To me, I see Jesus’s teachings as those of the Buddha. Like olive leaves, the children of God will fall to the ground, and be composted into the soil, growing beautiful things. maybe a garden of life, if we would start seeing ourselves as one, sharing the same loving nature.

• Yatter

Sometimes it is better to stay silent and be invisible than to talk.

• Travieso

You sounded like an extremist fanatics on you statement … It is because of your views that your God left you, if he was ever with you. You must wake up from the fantasy you’re living in … God is always in us and with us .. because he is always in our hearts …

• “God has returned”? Since when your God left you? My God has never left me even in a split of a second…oh my, religion has really damaged our pysche.

4. I am not a Roman Catholic, but I practice Liberal Catholicism, which is separate from the Church of Rome. Pope Francis is a breath of fresh air, and much needed in the traditional Christian world. I believe that all religions at their core are meant to convey the same values, but humans twist and distort things. The fundamentalist view point in all religions is a perversion of those religions. Jesus himself spoke out against that type of ideology and called them offspring of vipers. Fundamentalist Christians put more value in the Old Testament then they do the Gospels that they claim to follow. What Jesus taught was very simple, love, and it was meant to transcend all the “thou shalt’s”.

5. Magnus Stenbock

Goodness now that this is settled. I wonder if “christian watchers” have the same energy for that old friend of peace and love: Islam. It always made me wonder how much enmity people have for “Christianity” when it is actually the imperfect people they have the problem with…but then I read Matthew and I realized that religion or not, Jesus would offend those same people. Because it is not deeper faith the naysayers of Christian fault seek in pointing out obvious shortcomings of man…they also hate Christ.

• Nell Webbish

The idea that all negative actions of Christianity are just the result of a few bad actors while all the positive impacts are due to the innately wonderful ideals of Christianity is transparently recognizable as self-serving inanity by anyone who possess the average intelligence of an 8th grader.

6. Kalina

This Pope is so refreshing! He “get’s it!” Unconditional love for all is really what it’s all about. Just like the extremists in Islam have taken the loving teachings of Mohammed out of the religion for their own personal agendas, so have the extremists in Christianity taken the teachings of Jesus out of Christianity for their own personal agendas. When you take the unconditional love for all out that the Masters have taught (regardless of the religion/denomination), you end up with a man-made religion. I am looking forward to seeing more of the Pope as he takes religion “out of the box” and works to bring people together in spite of any perceived differences in beliefs or ideology. Love this Pope! (I’m not Catholic; I believe in the best of all religions.)

• Linda

:) It certainly does seem that way Kalina – about this Pope. I just have to say (in jest) Jesus wept! Well, actually Linda did, and with joy, because I think this Pope Francis is something special….lightning did strike the Vatican spire you know, and there’s a whole lot of light and consciousness in that lightning.

I pray Pope Francis is the real deal…..what a world change he could make eh? I think he already has, and is, and will continue to do so.

• Linda

IHello everyone, I returned to view this video again after being alerted of another person’s comment. I left the following message on a great and informative blog: ascensionearth2012.org . Much can transpire in a short space of time. I remain hopeful, but please consider my comment below:

I just watched a video on collective-evolution.com (a good site discussing many wake-up issues) which was released by ROME REPORTS. Basically, the Pope is discussing the issue of followers reciting the words without living the meaning and causing the people stay away from the Church. It is titled ‘Pope Francis States ideological Christians Have An Illness’.

I comment for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I believe that if he his agenda is to bring peace, love and abundance to the world, then he is surely in the midst of some opposition – however, he’s still alive – a good sign. With regard to the ROME REPORTS (corporation by my knowledge if it is in capitals), why is it that the video THEY released is 1:11 long? Let’s remember the Ferengi 111th rule of acquisition “Treat those in your debt like family – exploit them”. I have been taking note of numbers for some time now, yet only just came upon this fictitious(?) law last night, wrote it down noting the number, then this vid this morning. 😀 Oh, another note: after the copyrighting message, it states, and I quote, “…For permission to use the images, please contact us at sales@romereports.com” Ok then, except tell me why the ‘@’, and the ‘.com’ are in RED? Just a sales use of colour psychology or something more meaningful? The fact that it’s even for sale …is this not an odd thing? For the Vatican – hardly.

I think it’s a good thing to keep note of the words spoken by Pope Francis, as being possibly in conflict with the crime squad, aka the Vatican. The light will shine on the truth at some point. Until it does, vigilance is recommended.

7. Kerryspirit

Don’t fall for it, he is the BEST PR man the vatican had at hand as they are so desperate to reform the church. Meanwhile again flashing news that another priest had to leave as he molested a boy…. DO NOT FALL FOR IT… I love the quote: Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell and Spirituality is for those who have been there already!!! NO DOGMAS we are all spiritual beings!!!

• Scott

Religion is man trying to please GOD through man’s own reasoning. However sincere, it falls short of the glory of a perfect and holy GOD. Scripturally, GOD wants that personal relationship with His greatest creation-mankind. That relationship begins through GOD the Son. AND that happens through the unconditional acceptance of what CHRIST did on the cross. My relationship with GOD begins when I realize what the Bible says I am. That is, a vile wretched sinner who does not even seek after GOD. In fact, in my unsaved state, GOD’s Word says that I am an enemy of the most high GOD. Did you know that? But GOD demonstrated His love for this fallen person in this: while we were yet sinners, CHRIST died for us. So at the cross, GOD revealed His love for me. Also, at the cross, GOD revealed His wrath and angry as it was poured out upon the SAVIOR. The Bible says it pleased the Father that CHRIST would take a thumping for my sin which was laid upon Him who knew no sin. So is it any wonder then that GOD wants that personal relationship with us and not some flimsy attempt on our part to please Him?

8. Andrew

What exactly is he talking about? What ideology is a serious illness? Anyone?

9. KHR

What do you mean Christianity has been anti-abortion and anti-gay “for the longest time”? Roman Catholcism has been but Roman Catholicism and the pope do not define Christianity. Most churches have been pro-choice for decades (since the 60’s in the Episcopal Church).

10. Tamara

Finally, a pope we can look up to, who doesn’t have dark aged beliefs and who draws in all instead of a select few. We’ve needed a Pope like this for quite a long time. One who practices what the religion is supposed to mean, period. Do Unto Others, lead by example. Cast no stones. I find him refreshing, loving, tolerant and accessible. Whereas our former Pope was not and I felt, was more interested in focusing on pomp and circumstance.

• Scott

You mean sin like it’s nobody’s business because it’s not, correct? I will let you in on a little secret. GOD despises sin. That’s why CHRIST went to the cross. A perfect, righteous, and holy GOD dealt with sin at the cross. The wrath of GOD intended for me was intercepted at Calvary. Because the sinless SAVIOR died, my sinful soul is counted free because GOD the just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me. My sin was dealt with at the cross. My faith and trust is in the RISEN SAVIOR. Not some imperfect man who tells me that I might be an extremist for these words. Now. I will also tell you that if one has not placed their faith and trust in CHRIST alone, through faith alone, and by grace alone, sin will be dealt with by a perfect and holy GOD when that person steps out into eternity. AND the payment for that sin will be eternal separation from GOD.

11. Thurston Whitehead

God has never changed! Only man has! Things that were sins 2000 years ago are still sin today! But God does not hat the sinner, just the sin! And abortion is nothing short of MURDER!

• Chris Jorgensson

See, this is what he was talking about…

• ren

But the question is – as a Christian, are you capable of loving the “murderer”, the sinner, as Jesus did, or are you going to sit on your pew and condemn every man woman and child in this world for their perceived sins, because of course you are without sin. It’s this holier than thou rubbish that has pushed so many people from the Roman Catholic Church, and Christian churches in general. The complete lack of non-judgement. Jesus was nonjudgemental – you should give it a go.

• Thurston Whitehead

Scott, I know I’m a sinner, as bad as any. I don’t hide it, or behind it, but I do ask for forgiveness of it, on a daily basis. So many people today don’t want to admit to their sins. They say time has changed, this or that is no longer a sin. We, as servants to the almighty God, do not have that authority! We are warned that in the last days, which may or may not be now, false religions will abound, also, we are warned not to add or take away from the words of the Bible. Yes, I’ll stand by my statement that abortion is murder, to call that baby in the mothers womb a blob of flesh is nothing but a lie. However, murder, like all other sins, is forgivable, if the sinner is truly repentant. To be truly repentant, one must give their all in trying to stop sinning. It’s kinda like if I slap you in the face, then say I’m sorry for doing it, but laugh as I leave instead of feeling guilty, then I’m not truly sorry, just used “I’m sorry” to keep you from slapping me back.
        The difference is, we can’t fool God!

12. Observer

The fundamental beliefs of the church had never changes. The pope is jut delivering a message in a more palatable way.

He isn’t saying abortions and homosexuality is AOK to te Catholic Church. He is saying that extremism of hating an individual for there choices and decisions is wrong, and by condemning people, it pushes them away from the church.

You can love your alcoholic a usive dad, but not like that he gets abusive when he’s drunk. Just as a Christian can love their lesbian friend/family, or their sister who had an abortion, and not agree with what they are doing. The pope’s like “gay people don’t want to be catholic, because you’re telling them they are going to hell. God judges you in the end, you don’t need to condemn them in life.”

• Halyna

Well said! I have been trying to put that idea in words my family can understand and you said it perfectly. Thank you.

• Halyna

Sorry – my comments are to “Observer” not anyone else.

• This Pope sure does have a hard time being understood. It seems everything he says is always misunderstood. It’s almost like he’s telling everybody what they want to hear, not what he believes.

• CH Mann

Hello Observer, If I might say something here, I thank you in advance for reading. Where you miss the mark with your “faith” is the idea that what lesbians do in their bedroom is somehow sinful. Not agreeing with certain people’s behavior is one thing. But with you being vocally critical of what they are legally doing by virtue of the law and equal rights is a form of hatred and discrimination on your part. To disagree with me here means you are only reinforcing everything that is horrible about the Christian dogma. Your disdain for the behavior of a lesbian or a women who obtains necessary health care makes them feel just TERRIBLE about who they are deep inside as a person, and it is rude, and unsupportive and that is NOT your job as a Christian. Keep those backwards opinions if you must, but don’t speak them out loud. Sharing them is not going to help you at all. Sorry…Maybe I’ve misunderstood your odd self righteous remark about not agreeing with what they are doing—who do you think they are? Who do you think YOU are? You are not in their shoes, so you ought to replace your very bad attitudes towards these people with grace and love. Is that possible for you? Again, maybe I am misunderstanding your statements, but I just wanted to explain the nuance of why I think you’ve got Christianity all wrong. Thanks again for reading and Happy Every Holiday Between Now And New Year’s Eve!!

• Very simply put you confuse acceptance of a sinful act with acceptance of the person. Not sure where medical care comes into play almost like you are ranting on some unknown subject to the rest of us. Homosexuality will never be blessed by the church. Also according to the pope, we shouldn’t use excuses to belittle any of our fellow man and we all have our burdens to bare. Forcing rules on you as a society however is wrong. I think that is being seen already and many are opening up.

• Thurston Whitehead

Leviticus 18:22 & 22:13, Romans 1:18-32, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11, 1st Timothy 1:9-11. These are the verses that deal with homosexuality. God has been the same throughout the ages. It’s man and his attitude that is trying to change God. God loves us all and expects us all to love each other. Sin builds a wall between us and God. Jesus came to Earth and suffered the Cross to give us a way to get past that wall. First, we must recognize that we are sinning, confess those sin, to God, and then repent from those sins, and repentance means to try with all of our heart to quit sinning, not to twist the words of God around to justify your sin! We don’t have that authority!

• KateFitz

Man authored the Bible….”translating” his own understanding of what he thought his god directed. NOTHING touched by man is infallible…NOTHING. We are all imperfect. We are a beautiful kalidescope of imperfection striving towards a mosaic reflective of (not copying) the wonders we see around us. But, some of us see a desert and some of us see a garden. What do you see?

• Ignoring the Apostle Paul and his demons, you’re left with Leviticus. (If you include the Apostle Paul on any issues dealing with minorities, you’ll spend the rest of your time apologizing to every female on the planet.)

So if you’re going to spout Leviticus at us, check your own closet. No, I’m not calling you gay, but I’ll bet you have clothes of mixed fabrics. Did you like that Dustin Hoffman movie, The Graduate? It was Mike Nichols, the director, at his best. And it violated Leviticus 18:17. Do you think that the law that says that Federal courthouse concessions must be owned/run by blind owners, is foolish? Then you would like to violate Leviticus 19:14. Do you cross-pollinate your wonderful flowers that you share with friends? Look at Leviticus 19:19. Kosher laws, you stick to ’em, right?

Unless you’re orthodox Jewish, I’m not sure you want to quote Leviticus at someone. They’ll quote it right back to you.

• Dewster

This is right on. perfectly told

13. There is a battle goes on today and it is not between liberals and conservatives, whites and non-whites, nor Christians, Jews and Moslems. It is between fundamentalists who interpret the Holy Books and the egoistic level of the branch manifestations, and those who desire to tap their spiritual roots back to the source, by weeding out the hate in their hearts, drawing up, surging spirituality throughout their souls and beyond. They missing link component here is ‘weeding out hatred’. This is what keeps us from feeling and drawing from our spiritual roots, that others might want us to overlook to further specific political, geo-political, religious agendas.

• Note: Please delete this comment in favor of the later one. thanks.

14. There is a battle goes on today and it is not between liberals and conservatives, whites and non-whites, nor Christians, Jews and Moslems. It is between fundamentalists who interpret the Holy Books and the egoistic level of the branch manifestations, and those who desire to tap their spiritual roots back to the source, by weeding out the hate in their hearts, drawing up, surging spirituality throughout their souls and beyond. They missing link component here is ‘weeding out hatred’. This is what keeps us from feeling and drawing from our spiritual roots, that others might want us to overlook to further specific political, geo-political, religious agendas. That the Pope is spiritually enlighten in this area is a sign of strength. The sickness needs to be weeded out hate, composted and ionized into the kind of spiritual energy that unites

• Andrew

Unity is fine, but unity in error is NOT fine.

Those who want to enforce and coerce unity, with themselves alone defining the closer details of this unity, these are budding tyrants.
      We MUST allow for differences of beliefs and opinions, and we MUST allow for differences in the expression of that belief, unless that belief with violence seeks to usurp and replace the opinion and beliefs of others.

It is all clear. The Vatican is saying those who do not bow and do homage to the pope, who do not flock together under the flag of the Vatican have a serious disease, and are evil and divisive.

Yes indeed, he can’t wait to start another inquisition to enforce what he sees as his right and duty, to weed out the infidels. Wait and see. As a Jesuit pope (the first) he he is a master deceiver and under the most evil influences.

• James

Andrew where did you get this notion about the Pope and Catholicism? Being a Catholic, I and EVERY Catholic bow to one and that is Jesus Christ and we flock under the shadow of his cross. Where does the obvious seed of hate lay within your heart? If you preach hate those words are not anointed is the overall point that is trying to be made. Open your heart and love as Jesus has loved us all.

• Andrew

History my dear friend. History.

As we know, not one single dogma from the council of Trent has been revoked ever since. On the contrary, all has been repeatedly affirmed.
          Ask one out of all the millions of souls whom the Vatican destroyed over the centuries, for the ‘crime’ of not bowing to the pope.

Mind you I am not speaking of the common Roman catholic. He will do as he is compelled to do, against reason and against all logic.

Therefore, am I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth? Am I become the hater for not bowing to the the pope. Yes indeed I am.
          My friend, your message is exactly the same as the good Jesuit.