Two Swedes Develop Invisible Bike Helmet

With bikes becoming increasingly more popular as people begin to steer away from cars and into cleaner and healthier options, a fresh new idea has come onto the scene with regards to safety. Out with the old and in with the new declares the invisible bike helmet.

Imagine getting on a bike and not having to wear anything on your head, yet your head is protected. Immediately you are probably thinking you must be in some sort of bubble while riding the bike, but this isn’t the case. Take a moment and look at the picture above, can you figure out how this works before reading on?

I can say for myself, I didn’t always find it comfortable to wear a helmet when riding a bike, and there is some sort of freedom you lose once you are wearing one. Don’t get me wrong, I feel bike helmets are necessary for safety especially in cities where you battle for the road with other cars. I just feel that they may not always be the best and most practical solution. This is why I’m very intrigued by what this pair of daring Swedish women have come up with.

no_helmet2

Anna Haupt and Terese Alsti have created the worlds first invisible bike helmet. It’s called the Hövding helmet. You truly have to see it it believe it.. hehe. I already know what you are still thinking since you first clicked this article and looked at the image, “..the heck is the helmet??” I said the same thing. It wasn’t until I watched the video below that I realized exactly how this works and I was very impressed by it all.

The clever pair of inventors studied bicycle accidents one after another and finally came up with a mind bending solution that uses many familiar technologies but in a very creative way. The clever thought that has gone into this project is truly unique. The Hövding helmet works in a way not many would imagine it to and although it is tempting to describe in complete detail how it works, the video truly does a great job of bringing it all together in a suspenseful manner.

This is your last chance to figure out how this thing works before watching the video, any ideas? If not, click play below and enjoy the world of creativity and innovation. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments. Did you figure it out before watching the video? What do you think of the design?

Source:

Take The 30 Days of YOU Challenge!

Take the free 30 Days of You Challenge and discover more about your heart, mind and soul.

There are powerful benefits associated with taking time to relax, meditate, do something you love, journal, reflect or get started on a new hobby, but that means dedicating YOU time for it.

This challenge will help you set out on a journey to getting powerful habits started that can transform your life.

Join the free challenge and get the full guidelines on how to do it as well as support throughout the challenge.

Click Here!

More From 'Discover'

1. Good idea, but is it reusable? Children and trail riders fall off of bikes somewhat frequently, would a person have to buy a new expensive system every time?

• Denise Helton

If you go to their website they say it is for age 15 and up and if it deploys then YES it must be replaced.

2. nicole

How does it know when to deploy?

3. Love it. I ride daily but live in a very hot climate. I refuse to wear a helmet when it’s 100 degrees outside. I’d rather take my chances. This looks like it has great potential. I figured it had to be something that deployed. I just hope it’s less hazardous than air bags in cars which can be lethal.

4. Jared Y.

there are a lot of problems with this. First of all, if it deploys, even accidentally, it needs to be replaced which is a lot of money. Secondly, would you trust it to deploy when you really needed it? I’d just rather have a regular helmet…

• phill

you trust your car airbag to deploy.. and if someone wants to buy it fair enough, not everyone thinks like you and some wouldn’t be bothered by $500

• phill

you trust your car airbag too..

• I agree, if it deployed accidentally than there’d be a waste of money and purchasing another one with the chance of it deploying accidentally, it would end up costly. If you have a regular helmet and fall but your head does not hit the pavement or any surface– why would you need to replace the helmet if it is not damaged at all or even touched the ground? The one dummie that got hit by a car did not hit his head on anything and it deployed, so I wonder how easily it deploys when hitting something? You could hit the pavement, skin your knees, but your head never touches anything — a regular helmet would not be damaged in this scenario and still able to be used — will it deploy then?

• Liz

If you crash on your bike, you’re also going to need to replace your helmet. If you’re helmet shows signs of wear and tear, you will also need to replace your helmet. So how is it any different to this???

• gareth

A regular helmet is a fraction of the cost!

• Jake

The difference is replacing a regular helmet can be cost effective, replacing a $500 one time use helmet is not cost effective.

5. Jen

But how does it know when to deploy and is it 100% guarunteed?

6. REbecca

People who are asking technical questions here need to LOOK ON THEIR WEBSITE! Sheesh.

7. Carolyn

Don’t forget though, if you fall off your bike with a normal helmet on then you have to replace that as the structural integrity is now threatened. Also for trail riders and kids I think they should stick to the mushroom cap since they do fall frequently. This product is being targeted to the urban commuter who isn’t likely to crash. I think this is a brilliant design. I’m one of those commuting idiots that doesn’t wear a helmet and I would wear this.

• But, if your helmet hits nothing when you fall from said bike with a regular/normal helmet, why does it need replaced if it never touched a hard surface or a surface period and is not at all damaged? Falling from a bike, does not mean you will hit your head or neck when falling. I flew off a bike once and hit the pavement but my head never touched the ground, ie the helmet I was wearing was not damaged and the structural integrity, how can it be damaged, again, if it never hit/touched a surface of anything during a fall? The cost of replacing such a helmet, air bag type, would get costly depending on how much force is needed for it to deploy. You could fall off your bike in a way that you’d never hit your head or neck on a surface and yet more than likely it will still deploy and once deployed it needs replaced. I think after a couple times of falling, trailer riders (etc) and this deploying, a person would revert back to a normal/regular helmet. I would…

• Rebecca

I think somebody is reading too hard into that comment.. She obviously means if it is actually hit.
        Plus I’m confused where it has said in this article where you actually have to replace it if it releases? Please show me where this is because I’m reading all these comments with no evidence of that actually being confirmed.

• Check out their website. From their website’s FAQ section:
          “If your Hövding has been in an accident, it can’t be used again.

If your Hövding has been deployed, please contact us. In some cases, the accident data recorded in the black box inside the collar can be interesting and valuable to us in our on-going development work.

Some insurance companies cover part of the expense of a new Hövding after you have had an accident. Contact your insurance company to hear how they handle your case.”

8. John

Wow, absolutely no face protection! This’ll never get endorsed by any reputable safety organizations.

• Katy Dröge

A normal bike helmet does not have face protection, at this point, yet, either …!

• John, that’s ridiculous, no bike helmet in the world has face protection.

• James

MTB helmets (check POC, TLD, etc) certainly do offer face protection.

• Rebecca

Yeah but if you are doing serious biking that is likely to create an accident then you’d be stupid to buy a helmet like this. This is designed for the everyday cyclists who bikes to work or college, not trick bikers or racers!

No current bike helmet comes with face protection, and they are all approved by reputable safety organizations.

9. willywonka

interesting idea. what percentage of bicycle falls actually utilized helmet? it appears that this would deploy even in casual fall. i wager that most urban falls even single riders moving slowly without little chance of head impact.

i expect that his will continue to improve and make more sense.

• willywonka

supposed to read “most urban falls involve single riders”

10. Veronica

and people complain about airbags, safety belts and any helmet or device that is designed to save your life. Then again the same type of people said the sun orbited the earth, the world was flat, etc.. I say it’s brilliant and considering the number of fatal car/bike accidents in Florida – all I want to ask is where do I buy one?

11. Its 534 dollars and I feel like it really only appeals the demographic of people who like biking but don’t wear helmets and those people probably won’t shell out 534 dollars if they’re already okay taking their chances without a helmet.

• spambot

Nah, a lot of us wear helmets for safety even though we hate them.

12. Terry Disteldorf

Won’t work in a hot country like Queensland Australia.
    And didn’t appreciate the exaggerated build-up about an invisible helmet. Too much marketing.

13. AM

Ridiculous idea trying to sell a helmet at $534 so as to not be seen wearing one. Then the added costs when it deploys each time. I’d rather wear a helmet than have what seems to be a neck brace. I’d like to see the guarantee that it won’t fail, either not deploying, or doing so when not required. Stick with a normal helmet, it does what it is meant to do.

• spambot

It’s demonstrably not a ridiculous idea. Not only did venture capitalists invest in it, but several people here have stated that they think it’s brilliant and would buy one. If YOU would never buy one, fine, but you are not the sole judge.

14. Brilliant Love it, i cant stand helmets, and don’t wear one at risk of fines,(which is ridiculous anyone over 18 should be able to choose) but i would wear this.Thanks Funky Swedes

• yyeahokay

Yeah. .anyone over 18 should be able to choose.. because it only affects You, right? Who cares about the increased medical costs the public pays in emegency response, hospital time, the mayhem at the intersection and suffering of the witnesses and other parties, because you got a head injury when you could not be bothered wearing a 50 dollar helmet.

The world does not revolve around you. Your lack of care affects others whether you acknowledge that or not.