This 78 Year Old Vegan Bodybuilder Might Make You Reconsider Your Diet

Jim Morris was a competitive bodybuilder for 30 years and has been vegan for much of that time. At 50 he was a vegetarian and at 65 he became vegan. Our understanding of human health continues to evolve and change over time, just like anything else, and as science continues to shed light on the health benefits associated with eating less meat and more “earthly” foods like organic fruits and vegetables, more people around the globe are making the transition to a vegetarian and/or vegan diet. There is a reason why a plant based diet can help prevent over over 60% of chronic disease deaths.

Jim isn’t the only one. I wrote an article in November of 2013 on Frank Medrano, another vegan bodybuilder who displays enormous amounts of strength. I show these videos to dispel the protein myth that commonly plagues vegans and vegetarians. It’s not like you’d ask a gorilla where it gets its protein from, would you?

Research indicates that rates of heart disease and certain cancers are strongly associated with animal protein based diets. Plant based diets, on the other hand, offer plenty of protein and calcium, along with far greater amounts of other essential nutrients (like antioxidants and complex carbohydrates) that you simply won’t find in meat or dairy products. Here is a list of 10 protein packed plants if you would like to get started.

“The protein in animal products is filled with fats and chemicals and all sorts of stuff that’s harmful to you. When I was competing and stuffing down all that stuff, I had lots of digestive problems, I was constipated and bloated, just miserable all the time. I don’t concern myself with protein anymore, because there is enough in what I eat. I am not only healthy, but I feel better about myself and how I relate to other creatures in the world.” – Jim

If you are curious about vegetarian and vegan diets, hopefully this article will inspire you to look into them further. Studies show that vegetarians and vegans live, on average, 6 to 10 years longer than meat-eaters and they’re less likely to suffer from chronic illnesses. Of course, it’s always important to do your research if you are considering a major dietary change. Don’t just take my word for it, find some of the information that’s out there and you will see for yourself.

Below is an interview with Jim and PETA, he talks about the health problems he endured when he ate meat and dairy products. He explains that if he had continued to eat unhealthy animal products he wouldn’t be alive today.

(1) http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390444184704577587174077811182

(2)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

(3)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

(4)http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/48/3/712

– See more at: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/11/28/vegan-bodybuilder-displays-enormous-amounts-of-strength-in-must-see-video/#sthash.3INEzl6P.dpuf

Here is a list of 10 protein packed plants if you’re interested. – See more at: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/11/28/vegan-bodybuilder-displays-enormous-amounts-of-strength-in-must-see-video/#sthash.2ZHa67Xb.dpuf

More From 'Health'

1. Everyone’s body is different. What works for one person, may not work for another in most cases. I enjoy eating meat, I have no problems with it what so ever. Simply because this man had issues with meat does not mean everyone will. Do what works for YOU, and be respectful about what OTHERS deem as appropriate for themselves. Don’t push your agendas on others, be it through diet strategies, religion or politics. We are all individuals. Accept that fact and you’ll be happier.

• Olivier

Umm not really. Some people may have digesting problems but in our genetics, we all need the same diet. Everyone’s body is different, it is true but at a certain point. We’re all the same, only with small differences but on a regular bases, genetic give us the same needs with mega-tiny differences between each other.

– Evolution theory

• Salar Ansariansari

Hey Matt … Before all let me clear that this is a peaceful message and there is no offense.
      I guess you are here because you clicked on a link or something so there was no push but your finger on the mouse or a trackpad. Second of all this sounds more like a suggestion not a disrespectful push of an agenda. Also do try not eating meat for 40 days or so and see if you feel better or not. Maybe you have and it didn’t really work, if so then keep your diet the way you like it and enjoy it.
      I also find this type of videos annoying not because of the message but because of the way they are presented. The main point of vegetarianism or veganism is feeling better inside not not killing the animals however that is also a terrible side of it.

• While I wouldn’t say that the author was pushing anything onto us, I strongly agree that we’re all different. Myself, for some reason I feel a lot better when I eat as much as 2.5g/kg (1.2g/lb) of protein per day, so the recommended 0.8g/kg is way off for me. I feel hugely different when I favor carbohydrates (yes, even just the slow type) or fats instead of protein in my diet.

I eat a lot of it from plant sources but eggs, dairy (whey protein!) and several weekly portions of a high-quality meat are an essential part of it. I choose meat without chemicals and crappy fats like wild salmon, organic poultry and a hidden gem called bison which is nearly organic by law here in Canada. I think that as long as we recognize that animal protein is somewhat of a luxury and that not all sources are created equal we’re on the right track. (i.e. BIG difference between Omega-6 filled grain-fed beef and the balanced grass-fed, for example!)

PS: CE folks: I couldn’t comment using Google+ credentials. In fact, there are a lot of JavaScript errors on this page, at least using Google Chrome.

• Dillon

Now, I am not a vegan myself, and I’m just new to the concept, but I think the highest form of pushing your views on someone is eating them. They die just because you believe you have the right to eat them. Just a thought.

• Candysue

Great Comment.. Really made me think .. About living souls rights… 40 days no meat.. just to see how i feel.. Im up for the challenge.. Thank you xo

Nice comment :) Thanks for visiting, definitely don’t feel like I was pushing, just offering some information for those who are thinking of making the change.

2. David

unless you have an organic farm where the animals are able to have a close to free roam existence than it Is UNETHICAL to eat meat, and you’re perpetuating the vile food industry. f*** that politically correct first response . Our world is dying and becoming exhausted, and people are worried about respecting ignorant peoples life choices. I’ll be the first to say it then. Some things are just wrong. you cannot even come close to comparing religion to our food industry lol…American privilege, and attitude though I suppose

• passenger

“…Our world is dying and becoming exhausted…”

You might to want to reflect a moment and reconsider that statement. Mostly because it is completely wrong. According to the World Food Programme (http://www.wfp.org/hunger) one in eight (1/8) of people in the world “do not get enough food”. That’s a sad number. But it’s probably the best ratio of starvation to sustenance that has ever been known. The standard for most of human history has been the exact opposite: meaning that 7/8 of the population was in danger of dying of starvation at any given time.

We are living at an unprecedented time, whereupon most people can get the food that they need without fear of starvation. Granted, we can still do more. We need to reduce the ratio of people in hunger from 1 in 8 to 1 in 888 to eventually nobody. That day is not here but our progress can make it so.

But to claim that we are failing and dying is a complete and utter lie and a denial of all human progress. It is a surrender and counter to our human spirit. We are producing more food to more people than ever before. The answer is not to proclaim “game over” and retreat but to advance further and find a way to feed everyone.
      Go forth and multiply. We will find a way.

• Actually our starvation rates were probably a lot lower before agrarian civilization started (which would constitute the bulk of human existence). And that really has to do more with changes in social structure and economy since then. It would be more fair to say that capitalism is letting less people starve than it used to, when it was pretty much abysmal at not letting people starve.

• I agreed. Even though we know there was famine in the past, capitalism does let people die today, and it exhausts our resources to the breaking point. I mean, there was no food shortage in Britain during the Irish potato famine. The English just let the Irish starve to death while they were eating the most beef of any people in the world.

• Kristah

I don’t think David meant the human race is exhausted and dying, I think he meant the Earth is. Factoring farming is killing the earth. Raising livestock for consumption causes more greenhouse gases than all transportation combined.

• shon

You tell em brotha

3. Nikole

Thank you for your article. It had great insight and I thought it was a nice read. Food for thought 😉

4. Tarran Kent-Hume

Thanks for sharing this. I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I appreciate the different perspective and outlook on heath. Diet is a massive part of our health and something that is always overlooked, for example if a business provided heathy slow release energy meals for lunch the productivity would be far better in the afternoon than if you have a high carbohydrate laden lunch which creates an energy slump.
    It does make me and I hope others question what we are eating and why. Thanks again for sharing the video – @tarran008

5. Dionisis

God gave us the animals to support and serve the human kind. Drinking milk especially at young ages is as vital as eating vegetables. Animals and vegetables are equally important for the human kinds nutrition. And the damage that can be caused by eating meat from animals that are tortured or stuffed with hormones can equally be caused from vegetables that are full of chemicals and fertilizers in order to grow. So it’s not whether vegetables are better than meat. It is to know where you food comes from, to respect your food, and as ancient Greeks said, do (eat) everything with balance. Eating only meat, is just as bad as eating only vegetables.

• The animals are here to live their own lives – not to be food for your purposes. Take yourself down from that pedestal and let your religion evolve, as we have more knowledge than we had 2,000 years ago. Amazing people do not see how selfish and egotistical their position is – and that supposedly came from your God? If my morals are better than your god, you should reflect and be more expansive than “just humans.”

• God did’nt give you or me animals to eat. We took them in our imperfection. He gave you perfection where no animal eats another. Likewise, the bible ways that when we return to perfection, the Lion will lay with the lamb. Don’t use Gods name in vain………………idiot!

• Dionisis

The lion will lay with the lamp and you with your grandmother! Hahaha! Paradise as described in the Bible, was meant for people with brain capability of 3000 years ago! Just like yours still is, from what I see! Paradise (and hell) is the state (not a place you idiot) of your soul, because your will soul will continue to exist after your body is gone. At least that is what Christians believe. And according to the deeds you have performed in your life, if you are at peace with yourself and your consciousness, in other words if you feel and know that you have done good in your life you will be happy and in peace with God…no matter whether you have been a Christian or a Muslim. And I am not using God’s name in vain, because as I see you will learn something from this discussion… Now go crawl back to your cave, make and your brain a little smarter and learn to have a proper discussion because calling other people idiots it’s not very Christian is it? and as you saw I can reply to you just like you can…. Idiot.

• carbonunit

It IS written in the Bible, the end of the world WILL come, when man IS too powerful in WISDOM….and like minded people like yourself and your almighty powerful wisdom that venerates you in your self appreciated and self approved grade….will NOT prevail.

Yes you ARE wise…very wise…scary actually! So smart and wise that it triggers what i know and believe in my faith!

FYI, your comments based on self absorbed narcissism and extreme aspirations does not mean that this world is nor will be a better place! Hitler tried and well… the rest is history!

I wouldn’t even dare ask you to be humble…why…simple, because this is the way it is supposed to be…yes, people with attributes of high esteem! The Romans not only jeered,scoffed and laughed at Jesus Christ nailed to the Cross to die for mine and YOUR sins…you have admitted here how you conduct your life just the same way….jeering and scoffing! Don’t worry…your over-zealousness is normal in these times of these days!

Unless you are humble and non-judgemental…you heart will NEVER EVER be at peace !!!

Good-luck….and oh….I do pray for souls like yours too…to be helped in grace…regardless.

• Lindsay

“God gave us the animals to support and serve the human kind?” Quite a narrow minded opinion, if you ask me… I am not vegan or even vegetarian, but I don’t think that Earth, or the animals and life forms inhabiting it, were created solely for the benefit of humans.

I agree with some of your other points but I do think that a healthy diet can be achieved as a vegan OR a meat eater. I think the source of the food and limiting processed, refined foods is the key. I believe a vegan with a diet heavy in refined carbs and sugars can be far unhealthier than a meat eater eating clean, unprocessed foods.

• dfalir

Actually it seems that you agree on all my points Lindaay! I did not mentioned anywhere the world “solely”, and I agree with you. And besides the fact that I did not mention the word, of course animals only purpose of existence is not to solely to feed humans. But I can’t believe that animals and animal products, are by any way harmful for humans!!!! Quite the contrary! As long as humans race existed, and up to this point, human’s main source of food was animal meat and animal derived products along with vegetables. And this source of food has made us reach this far through million of years!!! Even carnivor animals do eat animals AND vegetables! And your second paragraph states exactly the same things that i stated! All the increase in cancer and diabetes and so on, are a product of Man intervention in the food industry, for larger profit and more and faster production of quantities…

• Hmmm

Carnivores eat only meat/insects.. Omnivores eat meat/insects and vegetation.. Herbivores eat only vegetation.. duh.

I think humans have a limited understanding about our history, and our ancient history which makes it hard to know much about diet. I agree with you, it must all be organic and pesticide free!

• g1

Human milk maybe, but certainly not cow’s milk – that stuff isn’t healthy at all in the quantities that it is pushed on us. Not to mention, the calcium that’s in cow’s milk is very hard for the body to absorb/process.

• anthony

tell that to the formidable maasai

6. His steroid use helps him stay in shape also… I train people pike this for a living, there’s no way he’s “Natural”

• Braxton

Just cause you are a professional does not make a wise. Don’t confuse fact with opinion. I am pretty sure you do not know the man or how he has trained currently or in the past.

7. Martin Pribyl

“It’s not like you’d ask a Gorilla where it gets its protein from, would you?” -Yes, but Gorilla spends up to 14 hours a day feeding!
    I’m sorry, I was a vegan 2 years ago, until I broke my finger. After 8 weeks when it just couldn’t start to grow together (normal time to heal is 5 weeks), I started eating animal protein again and it healed just fine after another 5 weeks. Having not enough protein is a bitch!:)

• stephen

Martin, you can get protein from greens, seeds, and nuts. You can now get plant protein powders that are high in protein. You don’t have to eat a dead animal to get protein. Eating a dead animal with rot inside your digestive system, and this will increase the risk of disease. Why else do you think Western culture is so sick? Go figure!

• “Eating a dead animal with rot inside your digestive system, and this will increase the risk of disease. ”

No, no it doesn’t. In fact, animal protein is pretty thoroughly broken down by the acids in the stomach, lipids are emulsified by the bile immediately after the stomach, and both are absorbed by the small intestine. The vast majority of animal matter doesn’t even make it to the large intestine, where *plant matter* is fermented (aka – rotting).

“Why else do you think Western culture is so sick?”

Western culture is sick, because of the crap that is the Standard American Diet — refined sugars and starches, hydrogenated and oxidized fats, low quality “food products.” When you start from rock bottom, it doesn’t really matter what way you go, because the only way *to* go from there is still up, which is why both veg*an and nearly or entirely carnivorous diets, and everything in between that’s still based on whole foods, reports improvements in health over SAD.

• michaeldk

Maybe you should take a look into all the poison that is in your fantastic plants these days. Most of them – especially in the USA – are genetically modified, and sprayed with the worst possible pesticides. So unless you are eating organic I am fairly confident that I’ll outlive you. There are so many studies that show that pesticides, GMO plants & novel wheat (gluten/gliadin) are the #1 factor in the epidemic forms of cancer, astma, dementia, birht defects and so forth and so forth. Enjoy your daily meal of poison-veggies! :)

• eSKAone

And what do you eat? You habe to be aware that stuff accumulates in the animals which you are eating later. So even if you are right, eating the animals whom are feeded with those toxic plants is even more toxic

• Jacinda

I’m not debating on either side of this issue because I think everyone has to decide what is right for them, but what do you think that cow you’re eating is consuming before it gets to you? GMO corn & wheat… grains sprayed with all kinds of pesticides, herbicides, etc… and most every boxed/packaged/processed food you eat is made with GMO corn in some form or another… whether it’s ground corn or corn syrup (which is in an astounding number of foods)…

I’m not advocating vegan-ism… just pointing out that consuming conventional beef & chicken means that you are still consuming those pesticides & herbicides, plus all the antibiotics & growth hormones they inject those animals with…

It’s not really about ‘my diet is better than your diet’… it’s about the fact that our lawmakers are selling our health down the river for campaign contributions… check out the number of lawmakers who have worked for Monsanto…

8. Joshua Trahair

Just read on another website that this guys takes a 2 weekly testosterone injection. Perhaps he should be promoting testosterone instead of a vegan lifestyle?

• I think that’s pretty standard for bodybuilders his age. When compared to other 70-year-old bodybuilders, it’s apples to apples.

• Reese

Thank you!

• eSKAone

Nice picture!

9. Well when the milk is unpasteurized, raw, grass as opposed to grain fed, full fat – the natural probiotic bacteria help break down and assimilate it.

Should you drink it every day, at every meal? Of course not. Your body only needs so much from one nutritional source. But, when push comes to shove and the body needs some serious mineral content (like when one ex-vegan commenter replied that his/her finger was taking much longer to heal) animal products can be amazing.

I used raw milk, butter, and bone broth to heal a tooth infection to the point where the dentist was shocked that I didn’t even have a cavity anymore.

But when I am not otherwise injuring myself, I like to eat lighter and avoid animal products that will build up in my body if I’m not using and absorbing everything they offer.

You just don’t need calcium after a certain point, unless your body is trying to heal bone damage.

10. dfalir

This Broccoli died [Fresh broccoli photo], just so YOU could be a vegetarian!
    Have a heart! Eat a rock!

• eSKAone

Not possible. But there have to die 15 times more plants to get well-fed on meat

• 2pink4u

Lol

• You sir made my day :))

• Dionisis

And so did you sir, by posting such a nice comment! Thank you, glad you liked it! :-)

• jesus

y’all both made my day by making each others’ days. this is what humanity should be all about !!!

• dfalir

I love Jesus! :-)

• Abel

For once, I agree with Jesus.

11. Braven

Can we as humans stop coming up with stupid diets? Veganism is not a viable option and even the most dedicated crazy followers end up quitting due to decreased health markers. You don’t even have to google it, go on youtube and see loyal followers of 10 15+ years quit. Vegetarianism on the other hand if perfectly viable because we need fats and other nutrients from animal sources, and you can avoid meat if you want to. Learn your body, strive to eat better foods, become healthier and you’ll be surprised how well the body can change.

• There are lots of vegans who have been that way since the 60’s and 70’s. Statistically, vegans live longer, healthier lives. Get your facts straight.

• Tommy

Where did you find that vegans live longer. A person’s lifespan does not depend entirely upon the food consumption. Children in Africa don’t eat mean, yet they die very young. I would like to see the research you are claiming for your argument.

12. Seee James

You can not get protein from any external source! Can not! The body makes its own protein. That’s it. The great type of protein in a Salmon (for example) – ONLY works for the Salmon – Not you.

• um that is true that different organism have different types of protein but all proteins are made from the same amino acids. The body breaks down amino acids from other organism (from both plant and animal sources) and use them to form proteins within the cell. There are 13 amino acids that we has human have to consume to form protein (Are bodies cannot create the chemical on our own). So what your saying does not make sense. Meat is the easiest way (not the only) to get all types of protein we need to consume.

13. Do you ever write about other vegan products like beauty products. The skin absorbs 60% of all topical products into the bloodstream. A lot of soaps are made with tallow.

14. Can you provide links to these studies that link animal protein to diseases? I’d like to take a look at those results.

• You can either look under PCRM.org or tons of referenced articles under Drmcdougall.com. Click on Dr. McDougall’s site, then go to Education and find your way to Hot Topics. Scroll down and you will have hours of peer reviewed research to look at.

• Leah

Are those studies specifically linked to grass fed animal protein? I believe the quality of protein matters. I would imagine eating lots of animal protein that’s been fed GMO grain/pesticide laden feed and shot up with fillers and antibiotics, etc would possibly be linked to disease. And what other variables are included in the studies? Like lifestyle (alcohol use, activity level and other types of foods consumed on a regular basis like processed foods.) Studies don’t necessarily prove anything, just provide some possible evidence but only if the study is reliable and we’re given the complete story. And remember, correlation does not necessarily equal cause.

15. Dave S

It’s too bad this article is way off and the irresponsible journalism will probably cause a lot of damage to people. The human body is supposed to eat meat, the reason why you were genetically given K9’s. All amino acids are important Branched chain and non-essential, not just the 9 essentials which is why we need a variety of sources for protein. Example, your body needs 191 different amino acids in a single chain polypeptide in order to create IGF-1 which is used by many glands including your thyroid to produce HGH, testosterone and several other much needed hormones. HGH is essential for repairing cellular structure and damage to the body.The amount per day cannot be met by eating vegetables alone, since your body requires 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight per day. Plants can never fulfill the amino requirements the body needs.

• Gorillas have K9s, Hippos have K9s, Gelada Baboon, Peccary, and Saber-toothed deer have K9s; they are all vegan except when stressed. Your dull canine teeth make no point. Pun intended. Have your total cholesterol taken – if it is over 150, you are at risk for a heart attack. Meat eaters have a hard time staying that low in fat since it is laced in the meat. Mine’s 120 and I am 57 years old, a 5 year vegan (gee, how did I survive according to your paragraph?), and the same weight and height I was in high school: 5’4″ and 116. Dave, you know nothing about being vegan apparently. We eat grains, fruits, veges, legumes, and other products. I am huge on starches. I definitely get my protein. Stop worrying about us and worry about the animals instead.

• michaeldk

I’m 34, was always ill and somewhat overweight, lacked energy and felt miserable. I quit eating all forms of wheat and switched to high-protein diet (lots of yoghurt and chicken/turkey/fish, wherever possible organic or free-range). People CONSISTENTLY rate me 26-27 years old, I weight 75kg (at 1.87m) and girls compliment me on my body all the time. I have trouble maintaining my weight, and have to eat a lot to compensate for the exercise I do. I eat a lot of vegetables too though, cook everything from scratch (nothing pre-produced or pre-packaged). For every story there is a counter-story, and living 100% vegetarian is just straight up impossible for me (I tried and started dipping under 70kg bodyweight…my doctor wasn’t amused).

• Jose Silva

I strongly agree with you regarding the irresponsible journalism and the human body needs, you giving very good information. However I would simplify for those who didn’t got it, that, the most skilled, fast, critical thinking and intelligent animals eating meat, like the Eagle from the sky’s or the Tiger from the land or the Dolphin from the sea are just a small example we can have to describe the meat rule in our lives.
      Thank you very much to alert the people.

• This literally made me facepalm. Animals with different physiological traits have different physiological needs, so if you’re going to turn to the animal kingdom for examples of proper human nutrition, you’ll need to look at our closest relatives, the anthropoid apes, who are frugivores, and essentially vegans save for an occasional lizard or beetle. The only exception is the chimp, who eat very limited quantities of flesh, and usually in the context of cannibalism/domination.

Your argument is invalidated by animals like squirrels, many birds, gazelles, most whales and, of course, higher primates.

• Sven Stenberg

I’ll give u 5 names of vegans u might have heard about, Da Vinci, Einstein, Socrates, Plato and last but not least mr. Gorilla. Tell me, does mr. Gorilla look like he is protein deficient?

• S. Lavergne

Seriously, you’re going to bring a gorilla into this debate? :)

Aren’t you aware that they have to eat tens of KILOS of plant matter each and every day to get all the nutrition they need? Not to mention their huge relative digestive system size and only 1/3 of the relative brain size compared to us? Lastly, gorillas have type IIb muscle fiber in abundance, whereas we don’t have much of it at all, which gives them volume with relatively little effort/nutrition.

Quick fact check about Einstein: he only became vegetarian in the LAST YEAR of his life, after taking ill. So let’s take his example with a grain of salt, please.

I think a gorilla is a great example :) lol I see your point, but it just means humans don’t have to eat tons and tons to get the nutrition they need, but they do need to eat would we would see as ‘lots.’

• S. Lavergne

Actually adding animal fats and meats to our diets (which previously must’ve been limited to plants and insects) was a crucial part of our evolution from what I understand: it’s how we’ve managed to shrink our digestive system considerably and how we continued to grow our brains (I hear cooking also helped those). Our modern digestive systems literally could not cope with eating, say, 20 pounds of raw leafy greens per day. (Heck, just 100g of raw broccoli and my digestive system becomes somewhat anti-social already, but I digress. 😛 )

On that note, I do agree however that modern vegetarian foods are promising as a means to reduce the amount of animal sources we eat down to luxury level instead of necessity (and I don’t mean the low-nutrition industrial-scale meat here, either, which I avoid entirely). For example I’m particularly fond of the 70% hemp protein we have here in Canada. You won’t get EPA/DHA fats from that (long live wild salmon!), but it’s a great dense source of complete protein which we didn’t have access to until recent times.

I guess my main “beef” against radical vegetarianism (or “radical” most anything…) is that we are still learning tremendously about human nutrition and physiology and thus we shouldn’t pretend like we understand it 100%. (Same reason why I disagree with the industrialization of our food supply, which changed the composition of what we eat without much thought.) For example there are 34 different types of saturated fats, which we’re only now starting to understand have wildly varying positive and negative effects on our health, which just a decade ago we grouped together as all “bad”.

All in moderation…

16. On milk:

Aside from everything Jim Morris points out about milk in this inteview, it should be noted that something like 60% of the human population is lactose intolerant to some extent (take the “gallon milk challenge” as evidence). Those who aren’t have an ancestral link to Scandinavia. For the rest of us, it’s much healthier to drink goat’s milk. From my own experience, a glass of raw, unpasteurized goat’s milk is about as good as it gets. For you milk-drinkers out there, just make sure your milk comes from a farm where the cattle (or goats) are allowed to roam free, and allowed to mate and feed their calfs as nature intended. Milk doesn’t have to come from rape and thievery!

• Not that I’m a fan of the idea of AI (because I do believe ladies should get a little somethin’ somethin’ for their troubles of pregnancy), but AIing dairy cattle DOES prevent unwanted males from being birthed and left to die like they do at some large dairies. Dairy breeds tend not to put on muscle like meat breeds do, so that is why they usually don’t raise the males for meat and if they do its veal

And, sorry, but you haven’t lived until you’ve had pastured sheep milk. WAY better than goat milk.

• JJ

Exactly.

17. stephen

Most people on here are brain dead. They like eating meat so they cannot admit how unhealthy it is. No wonder cancer and other chronic illnesses are so common in the West. I guess the sheeple will never wake up.

• william

cancer has only been in an uprise in the last few decades. since beeing vegan is becoming more popular.
      sheeple are those that do not do their research well an place full faith in their cause. not unlike christians. and also not unlike you. yes cancer has been in an uprise. but not because we eat more meat. its because we eat unhealty overall. its cute that you instantly judge others. but your far from beeing wise. i hope you will see someday that pushing your opinion on others like that, its the same as any blind fundamentalist. if you “know” you are the better person in this scenario behave like you are.

• dfalir

Stephen,

I think you know that cancer is a psychosomatic disease, and is not the result of luck of healthy food only. Its caused by a combination of factors, food being one of them, immune system the other, even psychology factors. Nobody hear argues that eating only meat is not healthy. But I don’t think that eating 1-2 maybe even 3 times a week, meat that is of good quality food (same goes to vegetables as well), is a risk for cancer. I would say that many researches state that importance of meat in our diet, is “measurable allowed quantities”, just like they state the importance of vegetables. I would like to see any research from a couple of well respected universities that state the opposite and I will have second thoughts about it, then. Do you have any evidence for supporting your view? I would be glad to read it.

• S. Lavergne

Not to throw oil in the fire, but yours is exactly the kind of extremist reaction that makes the vegan movement seem excessive and irrational to the uninitiated. No room for argumentation, just an assumption that you know an obvious, undebatable, universal truth and that therefore everyone thinking otherwise is wrong (not to mention the name calling – discrediting yourself further). It’s the food equivalent of racism in my book.

And of course, bundling up all animal protein as being equal is simply ridiculous. Do you seriously believe that, say, sustainable wild salmon, grass-fed deer and hormone-pumped soy/corn-fed beef all have the same effects on human health? If you do, then of course by all means, you should indeed avoid ALL meats to stay out of trouble. :)

Those of us seeing the shades of grey between black and white however, or distinguish different meats and how they were raised in this case, can make informed decisions about what we eat for a more varied and complete diet. For what it’s worth, you could do more long-term damage to humans with GM soy than some meats…

• Julie Clark

Why does it have to be GM soy? There is organic soy, if you look for it.You don’t even have to eat any soy to be a vegetarian or vegan! The whole point is that there is protein in many vegetables and plants and we should be eating organic as much as possible anyway. Then there is the point that some people simply do not want to eat animals. You should do more research before you condemn a person’s choice to live the way they want to live. It might not be for everyone, it might not be for you, but it is the way of life that many people choose and it’s their choice, it’s not harming you or them or anyone one else. Don’t worry about what other’s choose to do with their lives, if they are not harming anyone else.

• Matt

Julie, you seem to not comprehend the dynamic of the conversation that you are responding to and therefore sound very ironic. You may benefit from rereading some things a second time before blurting a response which misses the entire point of the post. The condemnation was from stephen against people who choose to eat meat. S. Lavergne was merely pointing out how unhelpful it is to your cause to make shallow attacks against people’s character.

I think the real issue is what S Lavergne mentioned about seeing shades of grey. There shouldn’t be only black and white perspectives on this. The article makes some good moves in encouraging people to eat less meat by, for example, dispelling the fear of not getting enough protein. It is not necessary to give up eating meat altogether to have a positive impact on one’s health and the treatment of animals either. Also, many people will most certainly not give up eating meat altogether (myself included) but want to make healthy choices and be more responsible for the planet.

If we miss the subtleties all we are doing is facilitating the disparity between the two supposed sides, and therefore just deepening the idealogical divide (no coincidence the idealogies are wrapped up within our political dichotomy). When in reality there are usually more things in common with people’s internal and ethical philosophies than are different. So, for a vegan to say “Most people on here are brain dead” and “I guess the sheeple will never wake up” is only going to make most people want to think… go **** yourself. That isn’t what the dialogue should be about.

18. Bert

Sooo, please show me a vegan body builder who was vegan at birth from vegan parents. There aren’t any. And you know why ? Meat is essential for proper child development and growth. Becoming vegan after the fact means nothing and your whole premise is invalid. Being on a diet which is lacking in certain nutrients which have to be supplemented is not a natural way to go. Vegans are biased in their thinking which taints any form of quality discussion.

• the flesh of slaughtered sentient beings (meat) certainly is not “essential”. also, our entire body changes over time so it’s never too late. good luck.

• My sister is raising her child vegan. He is developing just fine. Well mannered, smart, and tall for his age and all without meat or dairy.

• JJ

That is incorrect.

• Clearly given your response, you have no clue what you are talking about, nutritionally or morally. So how about this, don’t comment on things your uneducated about.

19. Judi

Your body, just like my body will tell you what it wants, just like mine tells me exactly what it wants. Listen to your body and respond to what it is requesting, then we are all doing whats needed and right for our own individual bodies. All I suggest is whatever your body asks for, please eat quality organic well respected food, and that being what you, mine our individual bodies want…. Really it is that simple, listen to your body, buy responsibly.

• TracyCrisp

Not want your mind wants but what your body thrives on. Not an instant fix but what fuel does your body preform best on. I doubt any addict or alcohol would say they thrived on their addiction.

Its also ridiculous to assure there is one diet to rule them all. We are all very different and evolved in different places

• Yes respond to what your body is wanting but you need to detox first. When I started being a vegetarian my body still craved meat only because my body was addicted to it.

• mojowrkn

You mean your body craved protein? Yes that will happen.

• ShamrockRagEll

Where does the misconception come from, that you need to eat meat for protein? There’s a lot of good quality protein that is true, however if you eat soy protein and potatoe protein in combination it’s almost as good. Just google “protein biological value” and educate yourself.

• GuyJeb

Where does the misconception come from, that you should to avoid meat for Protein?

Humans Never consumed Soy and Potato Protein, nor did we avoid what everyone now calls ‘Animal Protein’ for Thousands and Thousands of Years.

Our ancestors would be laughing if they could see us today.

Based on Personal choice, This movement is acceptable.
            Based on Science, this movement is ridiculous

• JJ

My body tells me I want alchohol, but I am an alchoholic. If I were to drink now (after 25 years sober), I will surely kill me pretty quickly, I couldn’t handle it at my age. My body also tells me I want sugar, unrefined delicious GMO sugar. I am a diabetic. So, people, DO NOT listen to your body if it asks for unhealthy contaminents

• keli

it is not your body asking for alcohol and sugar. it is your addiction! if you really listened to the mind in your heart and your gut you would not hear these cravings.
        i too am a recovering alcoholic and i know very well that my body and higher self NEVER asks me to consume poison. my addiction does. get to know your body well enough, and you will know the difference!

• SO TRUE! Whenever I hear people advising other people to “listen to their body” to determine their diets, I have to say to myself, “isn’t that what everybody’s doing already?? Not working out to well for them, is it?”

• Not true. Corporations get people addicted to processed sugars in things like soda and bread and we get force fed things like GMO corn thats in absolutely everything! Most people dont know what their own body really needs or wants.

20. S

Living vegan is possible, but extremely difficult.
    Protein is not an issue. You can get it from many sources. But do you measure your vitamin B12 intake? Or do all vegans ferment their foods? Seems easier to just eat a little piece of organic chicken to me.

Anyway, I knew a man who lived raw vegan for many decades, before dying of an aggressive cancer at the age of 63. You cannot always prevent it. Just live your life!

• C-Mo

Maybe he’d have died from cancer years earlier if he hadn’t been vegan.
      Everyone dies.
      And no one is immune from disease just because (after a gestation and early life filled with unhealthy foods and habits) s/he cleans up her/his act later in life.
      Living a clean life DOES mean you have a better chance to fight off disease, to cure yourself, and to live well – without the many “normal” discomforts people who eat the standard American diet have – diabetes, insomnia, digestive upsets, mood swings, chronic headaches, arthritis, and the hundreds of other ailments that keep the pharmaceutical companies laughing all the way to the bank.

21. Michael

Mans teeth tell the real story, They are designed for vegetables fruits and nuts end of story

• Jordan

Actually you couldn’t be further from the truth. We developed our jaws and muscles around our heads because we no longer needed to eat veggies, roots, and nuts so much. To sustain our developing intelligence we started to eat meat because it’s much more efficient for us to sustain ourselves while we do. Look at past hominids and you’ll understand

22. minnie

Different strokes for different folks, if there was only one path there would be only one person

23. It’s not the animal that’s bad! Natives were eating animals their whole lives and they thrived. The problem is these profiteers who are feeding these animals the cheapest gmo crap they could find, then because they have no empathy they line them up and butcher them in inhumane ways. Learn how to take care of animals and how to properly kill them and your meat won’t be so shitty! Here’s a great example. The average store bought egg contains 37 mg of omega 3. However, when chickens are fed a special diet that includes flax seeds so they can boost omega 3 intake then these same chickens start producing eggs with 660 mg of omega 3. Quite projecting blame on animals, it’s you people and what you feed the animals and how you treat them that determines the quality of their meat and other products.

• xyz

“Learn how to take care of animals and how to properly kill them”,,asuming you are talking about asking forgiveness, like indiens done, le’s put it like that: some will kill you wihout asking forgiveness or “properly”(as you say), or just kill you, you will forgive, your vibrations and waves of mind, chemichal reactions form you boby will be others, and you meat will be good to eat? :)))) Chemical reactions will be same, fear, wakness, rage, balaming, vibrations of mind, etc, will be same even killing properly. It’s good to read, know more, but it is better to put tsose information together and think after that…

• tom

Imagine… you have no wepon, no clothes, no shoes, no fire to cook, just bare hands.
      Would you be able to catch, kill and eat any animal?
      We are not designed to eat meat…

• Your argument is weak and false. Bugs are meat. Grubs are meat. Turtles, frogs and many other animals are easy to catch. We also are able to make tools and traps. Our digestive systems are absolutely designed for meat.

• Bruno

Yes but not red meat. Our closest cousins, the chimpanzees, are omnivorous but their main source of protein is termites. They are able to catch a mammal once in a very long while. Before humans developed language, we were terrible hunters. We don’t run fast and don’t have fangs or claws. We are not built for eating large game. It tastes great because it was a very uncommon treat in the wild. Just look at our teeth. We don’t have fangs like wolves or lions. We have small square teeth, like herbivores. You don’t need any red meat or large game at all, nor dairy. Some oysters or shrimp now and then are fine.

• how can you eat your pudding?

Not designed to eat red meat he says! Grass fed red meat has absolutely no harmful effect on heart health and is the most nourishing food there is! It can remineralize your teeth! My human cousins and I are way closer to each other AND closer to becoming rocket scientists than chimps thanks to all the creatine in our diet. Human beings always had language, neanderthals did too. We aren’t just hunters, we are the most prolific hunters that ever lived. We are the most flexible primates on earth. Primates are the most flexible mammals on earth. See where this is going yet? (The average veghead has damaged their reading comprehension and short term memory so I am just trying to be thorough here, maybe even memorable.) Humans are so good at running, we can literally chase an animal until it dies of exhaustion or falls off a cliff. We are 400% more efficient at running than chimpanzees. 800% more efficient than a dog. We don’t need to eat anything specific because we are effing amazing! When our blessed ancestors (that these mighty vegetable slayers keep insulting) attained the technology of fire that could sterilize meat and make large portions of fat edible, our brains concurrently started growing in size at an unprecedented rate. Life feeds on life feeds on life. Get over your emotional immaturity already! Stop preaching scientific studies on grain fed, un-fermented-soy, antibiotic, x-lax “burgers” at mcdonalds and get your facts straight!

• Thank you.

• Stefan

Ah but Tom, we do.

• ALL I CAN SAY IS LOOK AT ALL THE OBESITY AROUND US! We have became “heathens” in our diets. Everyone should look at BMIs and re-assess their diets if necessary.

• Obesity is caused by carbs not meat.

• oana de lucia

“We ARE designed to use our intelligence to use a weapon”… “Humans not eating meat is a new thing. We’ve always hunted and foraged”…??? Holy crap!!! Where are you people learning this bullshit from??? Humans were gatherers for hundreds of thousands of years, they began to eat meat during the last glaciation… And that theory that says that brain evolved due to the consumption of animal protein is a totally bullshit, it does make any sense…Following this logic would mean that carnivorous animals are smarter than herbivores … and is not at all true….Elephants, chimps, gorillas, what about them, are less intelligent than hyenas or wolves?… And by the way, you are not even carnivores, you are scavengers … you eat animal corpses in state of decay (how else can you call the bodies packed on supermarket shelves, several days old)… And remember this: “You are what you eat”! And what you eat is DEATH, and pain, and fear….despair !!!…. Think about that!!!

• Continue to drink the kool-aid Oana, the high and mighty are proud of you! Humans are ONLY gatherers for thousands of years?????? The beginning of the world of ag is about 10 to 15,000 (at most) years old! Hunters AND Gatherers since the beginning of time! From the Masai to the Inuit, to the Native Americans,(who worshipped and valued their animals like no other people before or since), to the Hunter Gatherers, they have all consumed some form of animal products. Please people stay off these sites with your simple minded, biased, moral BS agendas and more importantly lack of true facts!! It’s really getting old! Really!

• GeorgeO

You pulled one line out of context. We do many things with our intelligence and by no means our intelligence was for solely the consumption of meat. I’m no anthropologist but a quick google dates spears back to 500,000 years ago. Species in our genus have been eating meat since before our species even existed. Our species for the most part probably always ate meat when it was available. You can call people who eat meat whatever you want. However, turning the argument to some sort of philosophical debate doesn’t help your case. We can eat meat -sole purpose for this chain is to refute that people aren’t supposed to eat meat and other animal products-.

Btw you are not vegan/vegetarian because you were born into it. Your mind for whatever reason decided that you want to be vegan/vegetarian. Or maybe it was your parents. Either way it was a conscious choice.

• Care to explain our bodies need for vitamin b12 which can only be derived from animal proteins or pharmaceutical supplementation??

• Yes. True. B12 found in plants is not able to be utilized. They are deficient. Indian vegans are not known for long life and deformities are rampant in india.

• ShamrockRagEll

Not true. You can get Vitamin b12 from fruits that are not cleaned in an extreme manner as it is the standard in the western world today. Vegans in India for instance do not need to supplement b12.

• Well, every vegetable that you eat,you kill it to eat it. You are eating death too. Plants are living too before you eat them.

• True.All plants are alive. They absorb their
            food and grow. Who says that they don’t
            feel pain? One of the experiments to do is
            to get some simple seeds and plant them in identical pots. Water them. Put the pots
            in seperate rooms. After they are growing
            subject one pot to totally negative thinking
            to the point of hate, and play rock music to
            them. the other pot should be subjected to
            positive thoughts and music that is full of love. Any vegan who did this and saw the
            results would not want to eat veggies
            again.
            Where is the point where nature gets mixed up? The Venus Fly Trap!!!

a

• Kenneth

But we were blessed with the intelligence to create these things. Im sure your paleo books have made u convinced about what we were “designed” to eat, but please dont spread the stupidity.

Melamede Follower is right. Make the organic choice every time.

• Norg

Yeah but it tastes good, so your argument is invalid. Moving on.

• Daniel

Really? You can’t be serious. Humans not eating meat is a new thing. We’ve always hunted and foraged. Yes you can catch and kill a chicken for example. Besides, humans didn’t evolve as powerful behemoths, we evolved our rational faculties more and are able to use tools and our environment much more effectively than any other animal on the planet. Thats how we make weapons and thats how we hunt.

• Yes Tom i would ???? like we have done as a spices for centuries ????????
        and if we were only designet to eat plants we would not eat meat !!!!!
        we are designet to eat all that grows and all that is running.

• GeorgeO

We ARE designed to use our intelligence to use a weapon, to make clothes, to create shoes, to build a fire. That’s what distinctly separates us from other animals. You cannot take that away from us. Our brains evolved for that purpose. That’s how our early ancestors did it. They crafted spears and hunted. Some did gather fruits and nuts but we are omnivores. We have the enzymes to digest meat. There are sections of your GI tract almost specifically dedicated to releasing enzymes to digest proteins in meat. So yes we are designed to eat meat, vegetables, and fruits.

While we may be the only creature that drink milk as an adult but we do many things other animals don’t. We are the only species that cook, bake, farm, etc. We do it the taste. Also since we are intellectual beings, we also know what nutrition we need. Milk provides a good source of calcium. You need this calcium to promote adequate bone density both as a child and an adult. However everything needs to be taken in moderation. Water can kill you, watermelon can kill you, so can lettuce if eaten obsessively. To get the protein you need for body building through consuming meat products, you are also ingesting lots of fat and cholesterol which are known to cause constipation and cardiovascular disease. Perhaps we were not built to eat meats in such a way. After all our ancestors had to work hard in the past to obtain scraps of meats.

It’s fine if people go vegan/vegetarian and I respect it. However, do not judge other people for eating meat.

Source: Healthcare Professional

• xyz

or, could be that way: we are designed to use our inteligence to learn that meat is not good for us, to find out eat is just for survival, and we must developed our spirit, soul (body it is just a temporary house). So..developing spirit, not way to kill..!!!
          We humans most of us are on a wrong path of evolution!

• How can you have pudding?

Yes we are designed to use our intelligence, so eating a diet rich in creatine (found only in animal products) is required if you don’t want to lose 7 IQ points like your average vegetarian. Furthermore, reading comprehension and short term memory are the first mental functions to be axed by a body in distress since they are it’s most superfluous functions. You can’t even SPELL intelligence dude. There are so many typos in this comment thread it is read you less.

• Indeed!

• DWS

The fact that YOU do not possess the ability to hunt, is only an indication of your ignorance – not that of the indigenous hunter-gather tribes who DID hunt for thousands of years, and enjoyed perfect health. Enjoy your short, medicated life.

• RENATO HOLANDA

você olha apenas a questão dietética. E quanto a questão ética, ecológico, filosófica, religiosa? comer animais tem outras consequências.

24. Steve

Put simply, during evolution, there were branches of early ancestors that were herbivores and eventually died out against their later evolved omnivore counterparts which became early humans. Modern humans are the most intelligent species today due to ways we have developed in becoming cunning predators on the land before civilization was developed. Otherwise we would still be in trees eating plants and fruits.

• Ryan

Very true but remember that is only one stage of our development – it was only when humans learned agriculture, mostly plants based food like grains, is when civilisation began to take off. I’m not against eating meat but it is my subjective opinion that unlike early humans who need to haunt and gather, which takes a lot of energy that can only be provided efficiently by meat, modern humans will probably benefit more if we partake a more predominantly plant based diet.

• That grain based diet has let to most degenerative diseases. Humans should eat very few grains or none at all.