It is tough to find a decent granola bar in regular grocery stores. Most of what’s available is loaded with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives. You can find some healthier alternatives at the health food store, but then you end up having to spend an arm and a leg for something that is actually so simple to make yourself!
These are vegan, gluten-free, oil free, and soy free!
Below is a recipe that has been adapted from OhSheGlows.com for a wholesome, chewy, healthy, granola bar! The best part about this recipe is that you can adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes or those of anyone else who might eat these delicious snacks. These bars are great in the morning or for an afternoon pick-me-up, and will provide a lot of nutrition and energy for you and your loved ones.
- 1.5 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Now here’s the fun part: pick any combination of these ingredients, using about 1/2 cup each of five of the below options (at least three of them being chopped nuts or seeds).
Sliced almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, chopped walnuts, chopped filberts, chopped peanuts, shelled pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate chips, cacao nibs, puffed quinoa.
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
*If you want these bars to be gluten free, be sure to use gluten free rolled oats.
Whenever possible, try to use organic ingredients.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large, rectangular baking dish, line with parchment paper.
2. Mash the banana with a fork in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
3. Place the oats in a food processor or blender and lightly pulse until broken up; you still want the oats to have some texture.
4. Stir in the rest of the ingredients to combine.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish, spread out evenly, and press down until it is compacted and even.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully lift the parchment from the tray and place the granola on a cooling rack. Let cool for 20 minutes or so.
7. Slice the granola into bars, and enjoy!
Tip: Store these bars in an airtight container in the fridge. If you will not be able to eat all of these in a week you can freeze them for at least a month. Place leftover bars in a freezer bag, and then into an airtight tupperware. You can place parchment in between them so they don’t stick together when they freeze.
Over 150,000 people have participated in the 5 Days of You Challenge helping bring them inward, gain clarity on who they are, why they are here, and what is next for them...
Watch the daily videos, complete the worksheets, and enter to win a trip to Toronto to meet the CE team at their Luminous Retreat Centre.
Change starts within. Are You Ready?Click here to register for free!