If it were possible to send a jar of this nut butter to everyone reading out there, I would do it in a heartbeat. This stuff is life-changing. Imagine the best nut butter you’ve ever had… then multiply it by 100, and subtract all the sugar. That’ll get you close.
These days most people are aware of the fact that commercial brands of peanut butter, like Kraft and Skippy, are really just peanut icing. They’re full of sugar and cheap oil and devoid of all the amazing nutrients that nuts have to offer. We’re lucky to have a wide variety of natural nut butters to choose from nowadays, and while I’m not knocking these great and more wholesome alternatives, I still think it’s always better to make things with your own two hands. There’s a feeling of empowerment that comes with saying “no” to packaged foods, even ones with “organic” on the label.
Freshly made anything always tastes better, and nut butter is no exception. Similarly, roasting your own nuts rather than buying pre-roasted, aside from allowing you to control how it’s roasted and with what (i.e. no oil or salt), makes the end result way more flavourful. It’s like night and day.
The combination here of brazil nuts, cashews, and coconut, makes for an insanely creamy and tropical flavoured spread that you’ll be hard-pressed not to eat right out of the jar – and that’s okay (in moderation, of course)! But if this does make it past your spoon, I recommend adding a tablespoon to your morning oats, or pairing with an apple or banana for a quick and sustaining snack.
You won’t believe there’s no sugar!
Recipe comes from The Healthful Hoard.
Jungle Nut Butter (makes about 1.5 cups)
~ gluten free, vegan, soy free, sugar free ~
Inspired by Rainforest Nut Butter by Nuts to You Nut Butter Inc.
- 1.5 cups raw brazil nuts
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a flat baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay down your raw cashews and brazil nuts, place the pan on the middle rack of the oven, and bake for about 8-10 minutes, flipping the nuts halfway through. You really have to watch them in the last couple of minutes – nuts go from toasty to burnt in no time at all!
- Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, then toss in your blender or food processor, along with the shredded coconut.
- Process until smooth, adding a touch of coconut oil as necessary. Time will vary depending on the machine you’re using.
- Once you’re satisfied with the texture, add in the vanilla and sea salt and process for another 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Let cool before storing and consuming.
For tips on how to successfully make nut butter on your own, check out my original blog post here.
Discover how you can live fearlessly without the need for validation or approval from others, so you can experience life without any barriers between you and the joy of your full, undiminished consciousness.
Learn why all forms of meditation are NOT for everyone and how you can find which works for you. And much more!