Smoothies are pretty fantastic. They are these awesome, energizing drinks that we can concoct endless varieties of in a little lab called our kitchen. Many consist mostly of fruit, but you can throw in a vegetable here and there and it will be completely masked by the sweet goodness of our fruit friends.
Most people are familiar with traditional smoothies that have either a water or a plant milk base and then are loaded up with fruits. A growing trend in recent years, however, has been the green smoothie, which has a good balance between fruit and leafy vegetables (often 60/40).
Green smoothies are ideal because they make meeting your body’s daily vitamin and mineral requirements much easier. Smoothies in general give your body a well deserved break from the effort of digesting solid food; being liquid, they are much easier to digest and the nutrients can be extracted easier, too. They make for a very light meal replacement but are also satisfyingly filling because of their high fibre content.
If you are looking for a few green smoothie ideas, you can check out the ones below from our friends at VegKitchen:
Power Smoothie (Romaine and Superfood Seeds)
- 1 large frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen mango (or substitute fresh pears or berries)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond milk (maybe slightly less, if you have a high speed blender)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide between 1 or 2 glasses and sere.
Kale, Cucumber, and Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 cup diced fresh or canned pineapple
- ½ medium or 1 small sweet apple
- 4-inch piece cucumber (leave peel on if unwaxed
- 3 to 4 kale leaves (curly or lacinato)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or chia seeds, optional
- 1 cup mango or pineapple juice
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until quite smooth. Divide among two tumblers and serve at once.
Spinach and Apple Smoothie
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut into large chunks
- 3- to 4-inch piece cucumber (preferably peeled), cut into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla nondairy milk or water, or half of each
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or chia seeds, optional
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or other liquid sweetener, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- A few ice cubes, optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Process until completely smooth. Divide between 2 or 3 glasses and serve at once.
You might also want to consider including some of these awesome ingredients below. Check out this infographic from yogacentre.com!
Discover how you can live fearlessly without the need for validation or approval from others, so you can experience life without any barriers between you and the joy of your full, undiminished consciousness.
Learn why all forms of meditation are NOT for everyone and how you can find which works for you. And much more!