I used to think I was the only one in the world who experienced anxiety, and such a debilitating kind on occasion at that. But then I started being vocal, and soon found that I was not alone. Now, it’s hard not to find some sort of story or article on anxiety on the Internet every single day. I constantly ask myself, What is going on? Why do so many people have anxiety? Is it more of a problem than it ever was before?
Upon doing my research, I discovered that anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States. They affect 40 million adults in the U.S. age 18 and older, which is 18 percent of the population.
After speaking with many people and reading a lot of forums, I’ve found that, while general anxiety may be something most of us can “cope” with, whether it be through a prescription, holistic medicine, or mental and physical practices, there are times when panic attacks momentarily throw all that coping out the window.
You can be going about your day just fine, when all of the sudden, out of nowhere, your body becomes numb, hot, you break out in a sweat that burns your toes, causes your knees to ache, throws a wrench through your stomach, closes off your throat, impairs your vision, stings your neck, causes your hair to feel on fire…
When it’s happening, the physical world feels so far away, you feel like fainting. But often times, others around you don’t immediately see what’s going on with you because you are internalizing this extreme and sudden feeling.
For me, it’s all about breathing, grounding myself through mudras, and words. Lots of words. Self-talk or repeating words or phrases can be an incredible tool when anxiety strikes.
Allow the following 20 affirmations to guide you back to a place of peace the next time you feel panicked.
1. I am cool, calm, and collected.
2. This is only temporary.
3. Every breath I inhale calms me and every breath I exhale takes away tension.
4. You are not your thoughts and feelings, and they don’t have to bring you down.
5. Every cell in my body is relaxed and oozes calmness.
6. Smile, breathe, and go slowly.
7. I love myself deeply and unconditionally.
8. Within me is a peacefulness that cannot be disturbed.
9. I transcend stress of any kind. I live in peace.
10. Breathing in I calm my body, breathing out I smile.
11. All is well in my world and I am safe.
12. This too shall pass and I can stand this.
13. With every breath, I release the anxiety within me and I become more and more calm.
14. Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.
15. I overcome my fear of anything and everything and live life courageously.
16. Understand this and be free: we are not in our bodies; our bodies are inside us.
17. I acknowledge that the only constant in life is change and I am prepared for it.
18. You’re exactly where you are right now because that’s where you need to be.
19. I am free of anxiety and continue to be so.
20. Act the way that you want to feel.
Over 150,000 people have participated in the 5 Days of You Challenge helping bring them inward, gain clarity on who they are, why they are here, and what is next for them...
Watch the daily videos, complete the worksheets, and enter to win a trip to Toronto to meet the CE team at their Luminous Retreat Centre.
Change starts within. Are You Ready?Click here to register for free!